History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Nazareth House

A Grade II Listed Building in Central, Middlesbrough

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.5669 / 54°34'1"N

Longitude: -1.2288 / 1°13'43"W

OS Eastings: 449962

OS Northings: 519353

OS Grid: NZ499193

Mapcode National: GBR MHVM.RN

Mapcode Global: WHD70.3G4R

Entry Name: Nazareth House

Listing Date: 2 July 1976

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1139829

English Heritage Legacy ID: 59774

Location: Middlesbrough, TS1

County: Middlesbrough

Electoral Ward/Division: Central

Built-Up Area: Middlesbrough

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Middlesbrough All Saints

Church of England Diocese: York

Find accommodation in
Middlesbrough

Listing Text

MIDDLESBROUGH PARK ROAD NORTH
NZ 41 NE (4919)
north side,
3/67 Nazareth House
2.7.76
II
G.V.
Roman Catholic girl's school 1905/06 by E. Goldie (London). Chapel, 1894
by Weatherill and Whipham. Now used as home for elderly. Smooth red brick
in English bond, with painted stone dressings. Lakeland slate roofs; lead
tower roof. Roughly U-plan with chapel in north-east wing and tower linked
to north-west wing. Queen Anne style. 2-storey, 13-bay entrance front,
with chamfered plinth, has slightly-projecting 3-bay centre with dentilled,
open-pedimented attic storey and central, 2-storey, l-bay,
slightly-projecting mock porch. 3-panel double doors and overlight with
glazing bars in segmental-pedimented Roman Doric doorcase. Slightly
narrower first floor of porch, has enriched scrolled shoulders and shaped
window apron. Narrow ground-floor windows flank porch. Sash windows with
glazing bars, moulded sills and gauged-brick flat arches, keyed on first
floor. Band between floors, chamfered quoins and continuous moulded
cornice. Mid/late C20 sun-lounge extension partly obscures ground floor at
left. Attic storey has central niche with fluted head in keyed Roman Doric
surround, with figure of Virgin and Child. Ball-and-cross finial on
pediment. Iron rainwater heads dated 1906. Steeply-pitched, hipped,
flat-topped roof, sprocketed at eaves. Alternately triangular and
segmental-pedimented roof dormers with similar windows. Corniced ridge and
right end stacks. 2-bay left and right returns. 3-stage tower has similar
windows in lower stages; plain band and cornice below keyed oeil-de-boeuf in
3rd stage. Swept ribbed hipped roof has ogee-domed cupola, with 2-bay wood
arcades in each face, and turned wood finial. 2-storey- and-attic, one-bay
link joins tower to end of north-west wing with similar 10-bay (west) garden
front, one-bay right return and 5-bay left return. One-storey chapel has
2-light mullioned windows,with cusped heads, in chamfered openings under
hoodmoulds. Niche in north end has figure of saint under swept gabled hood.
North-east and north-west porches and vestries. Plain, largely altered
interior. Sun lounge extension, mid/late C20 extensions, adjoining rear
angle of north-west wing and south-west corner of tower and remains of mid
C19 house adjoining east end are not of special interest.


Listing NGR: NZ4996219353

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.