This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 54.5626 / 54°33'45"N
Longitude: -1.2428 / 1°14'34"W
OS Eastings: 449060
OS Northings: 518856
OS Grid: NZ490188
Mapcode National: GBR MHRP.Q7
Mapcode Global: WHD6Z.WLC3
Entry Name: Church of St. Barnabas
Listing Date: 28 July 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1139832
English Heritage Legacy ID: 59781
Location: Middlesbrough, TS5
Electoral Ward/Division: Park
Built-Up Area: Middlesbrough
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Linthorpe St Barnabas
Church of England Diocese: York
MIDDLESBROUGH ST. BARNABAS ROAD,
NZ 41 NE (4918)
3/72 Church of St.
Church, 1888/1892 by C.H. Fowler (Durham). Brick with sandstone dressings.
Welsh slate roofs, with gable copings and gabled kneelers. Felt roof on
north aisle. Clerestoried aisled nave, with south-west porch, slightly
lower chancel with short south aisle, north transept and vestry. Early
English style. 6-bay nave; slightly-projecting gabled porch with boarded
double doors in moulded surround, under hoodmould continued as sill string.
Cross finial. Aisle windows under hoodmoulds. Boarded north-west and
south-east doors in aisles. Clerestorey lancets paired (except at west end)
under continuous hoodmould. Stepped brick at eaves. Brick plate tracery in
west window. South flying buttress between nave and 3-bay chancel. 2-bay
aisle, with paired lancets. Gabled clasping buttresses at east end. East
window has 2 rows of 5 stepped lancets with engaged shafts and shaft rings,
the lower row blind,in common recess with nook shafts, under continuous
hoodmould. Cross finials on gables. 3-light east vestry window with plate
tracery. Plain gabled north transept with short end stack. INTERIOR: 6-bay
pointed nave arcades with 2 moulded orders under continuous hoodmould;
round, octagonal and compound piers, with moulded capitals and bases.
Westernmost bays narrower, and with square piers. Chancel arch has 2
roll-moulded orders, nook shafts with moulded capitals and bases, and
dogtooth-moulded imposts. Similar organ chamber and Lady chapel arches.
Braced collared kingpost nave roof, ceiled above braces and collars.
pointed barrel roof in chancel. Moulded wall plates. 5-bay carved wood
chancel screen, 1928 by R.T. Snaith (Darlington), has conjoined shafts
flanking opening and at ends, with niches holding saints under cusped
canopies; Perpendicular-style tracery and cresting in bays. Panelled choir
stalls with poppyhead bench ends and traceried panelled fronts. Similar
clergy stalls. Mid C20 musicians' gallery with panelled front, over glazed
screen, by Thompson (Kilburn). C20 wood communion rails, with traceried
panels and moulded rail. Patterned encaustic tiled floor in sanctuary.
1904 marble and alabaster panelled octagonal pulpit on Frosterley marble
angle shafts and central stone colonnette. Matching font, on squat compound
pier with leafy capitals, has panel with carving of baptism of Christ. Good
stained glass of 1928 in east and west windows; and in south aisle c.1900.
Lady chapel has 2 windows depicting Christ by Kayll & Reed (Leeds); and 2
depicting St. Aidan and St. Mary by Abbott & Co. (Lancaster). Late C20
narthex and gallery and mid C20 north chapel are not of interest.
Listing NGR: NZ4906018856
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings