History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St John the Evangelist

A Grade II* Listed Building in Central, Middlesbrough

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.5746 / 54°34'28"N

Longitude: -1.2263 / 1°13'34"W

OS Eastings: 450111

OS Northings: 520207

OS Grid: NZ501202

Mapcode National: GBR MHWJ.9X

Mapcode Global: WHD70.489W

Entry Name: Church of St John the Evangelist

Listing Date: 17 July 1968

Last Amended: 17 July 1988

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1139854

English Heritage Legacy ID: 59760

Location: Middlesbrough, TS1

County: Middlesbrough

Electoral Ward/Division: Central

Built-Up Area: Middlesbrough

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Middlesbrough St John Evangelist

Church of England Diocese: York

Find accommodation in
Middlesbrough

Listing Text

In the entry for the following:

MIDDLESBOROUGH MARTON ROAD
NZ 52 SW (5020)
east side
2/54 Church of St. John
the Evangelist
17.7.68

The building shall be upgraded to grade II*.

------------------------------------

MIDDLESBROUGH MARTON ROAD,
NZ 52 SW (5020)
east side.
2/54 Church of St. John
the Evangelist.
17.7.68
G.V. II
Church, 1863/65 by John Norton (London). Tower added 1881/83 by Alexander
and Henman. One-bay west extension to nave and aisles, 1914 by C.G. Hare
(London). South porch 1927. Late C20 extension to vestry. Red brick with
sandstone and patterned polychrome brick dressings. Brick with stone
dressings to extensions and porch. Welsh slate roofs. North-west tower,
clerestoried nave with aisles, transepts and south porch, and short apsidal
chancel with north vestry and south chapel Early English style, with plate
tracery. West extension Decorated style with flowing tracery. 4-stage
tower, with setback buttresses and moulded plinth, has boarded double doors
with scrolled iron strap hinges, under cusped head on nook shafts with
carved capitals, in north face. Slit lights under relieving arches in 2nd
and 3rd stages. Paired bell openings with shaped louvres, in uppermost
stage. Octagonal angle turrets and short, recessed octagonal spire with
ball and cross finials. 4-bay nave and aisles, and one-bay extension.
Windows in groups of 3. Buttresses between aisle bays. Lean-to south porch
adjoins original west end bay. Extension has paired windows and original
west window with Geometric-style tracery. Transepts, with angle buttresses,
have rose windows above 3 lancets. Lower chancel has 3 circular clerestorey
windows, and pointed windows flanked by buttresses in half-duodecagonal apse
with half-pyramidal roof. Flat-roofed vestry extension. Chapel has round
east window. Cross finials on all gables. INTERIOR: 6-bay nave arcades
with round piers, carved capitals and moulded bases. Richly-carved roundel
above chancel arch with round responds on corbels. Similar arches to
transepts and south chapel. Barrel roof with moulded ribs and wall plate,
and gilded richly-carved bosses. Flying buttresses in aisles support
moulded panelled ceilings with similar bosses. Transepts have kingpost roof
trusses with braced collars, 2 rows of purlins and collared rafters.
Similar chancel roof has patterned curved braces and carved principals. 4
steps to marble-paved chancel, with good wrought-iron gates and railings.
Carved panelled oak 1914-18 war memorial altar. 3-bay, 2-tier painted
reredos, 1927 by Farmer (London), with Resurrection scenes in canopied
niches. Carved dado panelling in sanctuary. Square carved stone font, on
marble and stone colonnettes, and stone octagonal pulpit, with open
trefoil-headed panels, on colonnettes, both by Farmer. Richly-carved rood
with weepers, suspended from chancel arch. Good stained glass in east
window depicts scenes from Life of Christ. Stained glass in aisle windows
by Laver Barraud and Westlake (London). Occupies important corner site and
is a local landmark.


Listing NGR: NZ5011120207


This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 21 August 2017.

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.