History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Fox Almshouses

A Grade II Listed Building in Norton North, Stockton-on-Tees

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.588 / 54°35'16"N

Longitude: -1.3114 / 1°18'41"W

OS Eastings: 444597

OS Northings: 521638

OS Grid: NZ445216

Mapcode National: GBR MH8D.W3

Mapcode Global: WHD6R.TYQ5

Entry Name: The Fox Almshouses

Listing Date: 19 January 1951

Last Amended: 21 June 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1139982

English Heritage Legacy ID: 59368

Location: Stockton-on-Tees, TS20

County: Stockton-on-Tees

Electoral Ward/Division: Norton North

Parish: Non Civil Parish

Built-Up Area: Stockton-on-Tees

Traditional County: Durham

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): County Durham

Church of England Parish: Norton St Mary the Virgin

Church of England Diocese: Durham

Find accommodation in
Norton

Listing Text

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 07/05/2015

NZ 4421 NE
23/239

NORTON
HIGH STREET (West side)
Nos 1 to 12 (consec.) , No 14 The Fox Almshouses and No 67 High Street

(Formerly listed as Nos 1 to 12 (consec.) Fox Alms Houses and Meeting Room, and 67 High Street, previously listed as Fox Alms House).

19.1.51

GV
II
Built by Mr Fox in 1897 opposite his brewery in Smirke's Yard. A neat row of 13 cottages with large gables breaking forward slightly. Brick with high tiled roofs and 12 tall chimneys with spurs on each side. Paired doorways in the centre of each gable with shaped lights above; 4-light wooden transom and mullion windows on each side with Tudor arch heads. The gables are half-timbered with an alternative rectangular and diagonal patterns (the former being small attic lights) and bargeboards. At the East end, to the street, is No 67 which is treated as a continuation of the almshouses in similar style. No gable to South but a single door with a small window to the right. Half-timbered gable to street has bargeboard and is jettied and supported on a shallow 6-light bay and end brackets. A tablet in the gable, set in a Strapwork panes, flanked by female herms, states "The Fox Alms House 1897. Built and endowed by Henry Fox of Norton". The former Meeting Room (No 14) is on the South side of the garden opposite Nos 5 and 6. Single storey in similar style. Projecting gabled centre with an 8-light window, (2 of these lights being a doorway with shaped lights above). Five-light bays to East and West supporting jettied gable ends. Brick with tiled roof and Spurred chimney. Offices and walls to rear alley also included


Listing NGR: NZ4459721638

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.