History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Engine House and Chimney Gunnislake Clitters Mine

A Grade II Listed Building in Chilsworthy, Cornwall

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.5301 / 50°31'48"N

Longitude: -4.2284 / 4°13'42"W

OS Eastings: 242157

OS Northings: 72409

OS Grid: SX421724

Mapcode National: GBR NR.HZPP

Mapcode Global: FRA 271N.DJD

Entry Name: Engine House and Chimney Gunnislake Clitters Mine

Listing Date: 19 October 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1140203

English Heritage Legacy ID: 60852

Location: Calstock, Cornwall, PL18

County: Cornwall

Civil Parish: Calstock

Built-Up Area: Chilsworthy

Traditional County: Cornwall

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall

Church of England Parish: Calstock

Church of England Diocese: Truro

Find accommodation in
Gunnislake

Listing Text

CALSTOCK GUNNISLAKE CLITTERS MINE
SX 47 SW
2/106 Engine house and chimney
II
Engine house and chimney at Gunnislake Clitters Mine. Late C19. Engine house in
slatestone rubble with granite quoins and brick dressings. Chimney in slatestone
rubble with brick top.
Plan: The engine house is at the north end of the mine site, with the chimney about
15 metres to south ; the engine house stands on the bank of the River Tamar.
The engine house is of rectangular plan, with bob wall at the south gable end, a tall
narrow round-arched bob-opening with an upper round arch. Small rectangular building
attached at the west side. The chimney is circular and tapered, with brick top and
cornice.
Gunnislake Clitters mined copper, tin, umber, wolfram and arsenic ; it began as an
adit trail from the Tamar in 1822 - 27 ; it was re-opened in the 1860s and it had in
1865 a new 40 inch cylinder engine with a 10 feet stroke built in the Bedford
Foundary, Tavistock. A 30 hp whim engine drew ores from the 90 fathom level. After
1900 it was amalgamated with Hingston Down Consols (q.v.) and the adjoining Hawkmoor
and Gunnislake Old Mine, and was one of the few continuing production into the early
C20.
There are other buildings on site including a treatment mill and some flues, and the
remains of another engine house.
Sources: Booker, F.: Industrial Archaeology of the Tamar Valley 1967. Tamar Valley
Project.


Listing NGR: SX4215772409

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.