This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 50.3287 / 50°19'43"N
Longitude: -4.6364 / 4°38'11"W
OS Eastings: 212447
OS Northings: 50965
OS Grid: SX124509
Mapcode National: GBR N6.XNVV
Mapcode Global: FRA 1855.9KH
Entry Name: Methodist Chapel
Listing Date: 30 April 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1140307
English Heritage Legacy ID: 60593
Location: Lanteglos, Cornwall, PL23
Civil Parish: Lanteglos
Built-Up Area: Polruan
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: Lanteglos-by-Fowey
Church of England Diocese: Truro
SX 15 SW LANTEGLOS-BY-FOWEY WEST STREET, POLRUAN
8/91 Methodist Chapel
Wesleyan Chapel, now Methodist Chapel, 1880 foundation stone. Designed by Mr
Hicks of Redruth. Snecked grey limestone blocks with ashlar quoins and freestone
dressings. Symmetrical gabled south front with slate roof. Free Gothic style.
Gabled south front (ritual west) with central entrance in coped gabled stone
porch with corner buttresses. Pitch pine diagonal boarded 3 panel double doors
flanked by pilasters supporting 2 centred arch with foiled tracery in tympanum.
Flanked by 2 engaged pinnacled octagonal turrets rising from tall square bases and
rising above gable apex with engaged shafts near top with blind arcading above
surmounted by pinnacles which were once possibly decorated with finials. Flanked on
ground floor by 2 lancet windows with foiled tracery within. Large central rose
window above porch. Angle buttresses on corners. Cast iron railings
Complete interior with raked seating with pitch pine benches. Pitch pine
rostrum and rails. Dado panelling. Plastered ceiling is hammer beam in profile.
Listing NGR: SX1244750965
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings