This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 50.3297 / 50°19'47"N
Longitude: -4.6381 / 4°38'17"W
OS Eastings: 212336
OS Northings: 51085
OS Grid: SX123510
Mapcode National: GBR N6.XNGF
Mapcode Global: FRA 1855.8X0
Plus Code: 9C2Q89H6+VQ
Entry Name: Polruan Castle
Listing Date: 21 August 1964
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1329297
English Heritage Legacy ID: 60592
Location: Lanteglos, Cornwall, PL23
Civil Parish: Lanteglos
Built-Up Area: Polruan
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: Lanteglos-by-Fowey
Church of England Diocese: Truro
SX 15 SW LANTEGLOS-BY-FOWEY WEST STREET, POLRUAN
8/90 Polruan Castle
Blockhouse, now maintained ruin, erected circa 1540 and last used in 1666. One
of Henry VIII's forts erected to guard the entrance to Fowey River and was linked by
a large chain with a similar blockhouse on the Fowey side.
Rubble stone with ashlar dressings. Floors and roof now gone. Square in plan.
3 storeys. Entrance on south-east near centre. Chamfered round-headed arch. Small
rectangular loop embrasure to the right and 3 above. Oversailing parapet remains on
south corner. Small rectangular embrasures on other faces with 2 stone mullioned
windows on the north-east and a musket-loop on the north-west. Remains of stone
newel stairs on the east and south with steps up from the headland on the west.
Remains of fireplace and slate lintel on the first floor.
Owned by Polruan Town Trust and scheduled as an Ancient Monument.
Listing NGR: SX1233651085
Other nearby listed buildings