This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.3654 / 50°21'55"N
Longitude: -4.6166 / 4°36'59"W
OS Eastings: 214004
OS Northings: 54993
OS Grid: SX140549
Mapcode National: GBR N7.V7ZK
Mapcode Global: FRA 1862.K89
Entry Name: Church of St Ciricus and Julitta
Listing Date: 21 August 1964
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1140311
English Heritage Legacy ID: 60605
Location: St. Veep, Cornwall, PL22
Civil Parish: St. Veep
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: St Veep
Church of England Diocese: Truro
SX 15 SW ST VEEP
8/103 Church of St Ciricus and Julitta
Parish church, church enlarged and partly rebuilt prior to 1336 when rededicated by
Bishop Grandisson. Tower, south aisle, porch and south door of this date. North
aisle and south chapel probably circa C15. Said to have been cruxiform plan before
Rubblestone with slate roofs with nave and chancel in one with continuous roof. 5
bay south aisle with south chapel under another single roof, not quite full length
of chancel. 4 bay south aisle continuing to west end of south chapel. Moulded
tower plinth. Differing plinth to south aisle and south porch, to south aisle
chapel, to chancel and to north aisle. Octagonal rood stair turret on east end of
south aisle. Angle buttress on north-east and north-west corners of north aisle.
Much tracery replaced in late C19 and C20 and restored. South aisle west window,
replaced 3-light Perpendicular tracery. South aisle with 4 Perpendicular 3-light
windows with cusped heads beneath rectangular hood. Window on east of south aisle
C19 restoration. South priests door with 4-centred arch with slight cavetto mould.
East end of south aisle, 3-light Perpendicular window with tracery partly replaced.
Similar to east window. 3-light window to east of north aisle replaced. North
aisle with four 3-light Perpendicular windows beneath 4-centred arches. C19
restoration and replacement. Tower of 2 stages with thick stepped angle buttress,
battlemented cornice without pinnacles. Staircase projection on north side with
small rectangular slit openings. 2-centred arch to west door with moulded jambs
stopped on right. Base eroded and partly replaced on left. Hood with round stops.
3-light Perpendicular window above in 2-centred arch with hood and drips. Moulded
jambs. Tracery partly restored. 2-light trefoiled belfry openings with slate
louvres beneath rectangular hoods on 4 faces. South porch with 2-centred granite
arch with moulded jambs with double roll with cavetto between. Hood with carved
labels. South door with 2-centred granite arch with double roll mould and cavetto
similar but on a slightly smaller scale than outer door. Rounded arch to niche
above south door with inscription dated 1773. C18 south door.
5 bay arcade to south aisle with granite piers with 4 demi shafts with 4 sharply
keeled minor shafts between. Heavy moulded round capitals and wide 2-centred arches
to arcade. To east end, east bay of arcade with 4-centred arch springing from
engaged Pevsner type A moulding to east. 4 bay arcade to north aisle with 4 demi
shafts with 4 minor shafts between. Capitals more angular with carved faces and 4-
centred arches to arcade. Earlier responds.
Original waggon roof in porch with ornate reused bosses in porch (cf pulpit).
Waggon roof to nave, aisles and chancel plastered. Carved contemporary wall plates
on moulded stone wall plate. Tower arch slightly pointed, unmoulded. Chamfered
tower door with stops. Squint between north aisle and chance.
5 bench ends circa 1520 in south aisle chapel. Nave and chancel reseated.
C15 font of elvan stone. Octagonal with faces decorated with trefoil and
quatrefoils in roundels. Waisted with octagonal base. Simple C18 timber pulpit
further ornamented with roof carvings from Oxford Colleges comprising classical
foliage festoons, cartouches and crossed keys. Similar to reused bosses in porch.
Painted Royal arms of Charles II, 1661 in north wall of chancel and Royal arms of
George III c.1780 to east of south door. Restored in 1977.
Memorials: above south door in south aisle to Nicholas Courtney, Gent, 1589. Peal
of 6 bells cast in 1770 and dedicated to St Veep. Cast by Pennington of Bradford in
meadow opposite church yard. Virgin peal, that is they come from the moulds in
perfect tune. No other examples in England. Bell frame 1936.
Churchyard probably a lan. Advowsen attached to manor of Manely at time of
C Henderson The Cornish Church Guide, 1925
Kelly's Directory of Cornwall, 1889
N Pevsner and E Radcliffe The Buildings of England, Cornwall, rp 1970
Listing NGR: SX1400154991
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings