This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 50.5219 / 50°31'18"N
Longitude: -4.4472 / 4°26'49"W
OS Eastings: 226625
OS Northings: 71983
OS Grid: SX266719
Mapcode National: GBR NG.JHHW
Mapcode Global: FRA 17KP.C7T
Entry Name: Prince of Wales Engine House at Phoenix United Mine
Listing Date: 5 November 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1140530
English Heritage Legacy ID: 62158
Location: Linkinhorne, Cornwall, PL14
Civil Parish: Linkinhorne
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: Linkinhorne
Church of England Diocese: Truro
SX 27 SE
6/19 Prince of Wales Engine House at
- Phoenix United Mine
Engine house at Prince of Wales shaft, Phoenix United Mine. 1910. Granite rubble
with red brick dressings.
Plan: Rectangular engine house with chimney attached to the south west corner.
Attached to left, the remains of large rectangular building; about 10 metres from
the rear left, a further building. Also about 50 metres from the rear, a further
building, probably for the six head of pneumatic stamps.
Engine house on plinth, with gable end to front with chimney attached to left; the
chimney has a square plan base, rising to the height of the engine house, broached at
the top with a circular tapered brick chimney with cornice. The gable end has a wide
round brick arch at ground floor with 2 narrower round-arched brick openings above.
The right side has 2 round-arched openings at ground floor, one at first and second
floors. Lower ground level has round-arched opening. Left side has round-arched
opening at first floor, oculus at second floor. Rear has round-arched bob opening,
leading to a trench at right angles to the engine house.
Rectangular building attached to left has arcade of 3 round brick arches to front, 2
of them blind and smaller arches set within, the central arch open.
Building 10 metres from rear left A single storey rectangular building with gable
ends, 3 round-arched brick openings to the side. One gable end has bob opening, with
round-arch to left and right and oculus at the apex of the gable. Other gable end
has round-arched doorway to right and left. Attached to the side, remains of 2
further buildings, also single storey, with gable ends and round-arched openings.
Stamps 50 metres from the rear 2-storey building with gable ends; along the front are
7 segmental-headed window openings, at upper level. 3 similar openings in gable end
to right. Housing for engine at the left end and opening to full height of the
buiding to front and rear at the left end.
In 1910, this mine had a new 80 inch pumping engine, built by Eolman Brothers Ltd of
Camborne. There was also a Robey 2-speed horizontal winding engine and a six head of
pneumatic stamps. Drainage was difficult, and work was abandoned in 1914.
Sources: Barton, D.B.: A Historical Survey of the Mines and Mineral Railways of East
Cornwall and West Devon 1964.
Listing NGR: SX2662571983
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings