This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.5195 / 50°31'10"N
Longitude: -4.4312 / 4°25'52"W
OS Eastings: 227750
OS Northings: 71677
OS Grid: SX277716
Mapcode National: GBR NH.JMLY
Mapcode Global: FRA 17LP.KHH
Entry Name: West Rosedown Mine Pair of Engine Houses and 3 Chimneys at Sx 277 717
Listing Date: 5 November 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1329194
English Heritage Legacy ID: 62168
Location: Linkinhorne, Cornwall, PL14
Civil Parish: Linkinhorne
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: Linkinhorne
Church of England Diocese: Truro
SX 27 SE
6/31 West Rosedown Mine pair of engine
- houses and 3 chimneys at SX 277 717
Pair of engine houses and 3 chimneys. Circa 1870. Slatestone rubble with brick
Plan: Engine house to north with chimney to south west; engine house to south with
chimney to south west. One further chimney about midway between the two engine
Northern engine house in slatestone rubble on granite plinth with granite quoins;
gable end to front and rear with a chimney about 20 metres from the rear gable end.
The chimney is circular, tapered, with the remains of a further rectangular building
attached to east. The front a gable end has a round-arched bob opening with granite
voussoirs. Right side has window opening with granite jambs and voussoirs. Rear
gable end has wide round arch at ground floor with granite voussoirs and 2 window
openings above the flat granite lintels.
Southern engine house has gable end front to north; bob opening with flat timber
lintel; to the front 3 granite walls forming 2 trenches. The rear gable end has
window opening at all 3 levels. Left side has door at ground floor and window above.
Right side also has door, wall partially collapsed. The chimney is about 10 metres
to south west, circular, tapered, with brick top.
West Rosedown Mine was owned and worked by the Marke Valley adventurers from 1858
onwards. This sett had originally been worked as part of the old Wheal Jenkin in the
1830s by Cornwall Great United. At West Rosedown hopes were entertained of finding
tin in depth and a 60 inch engine was erected in 1862 to sink the mine. Production
declined and in 1883 it was decided to sell off all the underground and surface
machinery on the old copper part of the sett.
Sources: Barton, D.B.: A Historical Survey of the Mines and Mineral Railways of East
Cornwall and West Devon 1964.
Listing NGR: SX2775071677
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings