This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.4118 / 50°24'42"N
Longitude: -4.3834 / 4°23'0"W
OS Eastings: 230753
OS Northings: 59594
OS Grid: SX307595
Mapcode National: GBR NK.RFWN
Mapcode Global: FRA 17QY.S5M
Entry Name: Catchfrench Manor
Listing Date: 21 July 1951
Last Amended: 9 October 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1140567
English Heritage Legacy ID: 62039
Location: St. Germans, Cornwall, PL12
Civil Parish: St. Germans
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: St Germans Group Parish
Church of England Diocese: Truro
SX 35 NW
4/43 Catchfrench Manor (formerly listed
as Catchfrench and Old House ruins
House, now in multiple occupation. Probably early C18 origin, partly built on the
site of an earlier house. Remodelled late C18, with alterations and additions of
1914, with later alterations. Slatestone rubble, roughcast, partly brick. Hipped
mansard plain tiled roof with ridge tiles and rendered stacks.
Plan: Overall U-plan, with the wings facing south; the entrance front is to west.
The main range is of single depth, with principal rooms along the garden front to
north. It appears that the original front entrance was in the centre, on the south
side, with a projecting wing to right and left, facing the courtyard and the ruins of
the old house (q.v.).
Exterior: Entrance front of one storey and attic, a symmetrical 1:1:1 bay range with
central porch tower and one bay to right and left. Central 2-storey porch tower
rising above the roof level through the eaves, slightly advanced, parapet with band
and coping to top; 4-centred arched doorway below with wide chamfer, C20 panelled
door with sidelights and fanlight. To right and left, a 4-centred arched 12-pane
sash. Modillion cornice, 2 flat-roofed dormers, each with 12-pane sash. Rendered
stack with cornice on ridge, to right and left of porch tower. The right side forms
the U-plan, with 4 bays to centre and wing to right and left. In the 4 central bays,
the bay to left has an addition of early C20, of 2 storeys with round arched arcade
at ground floor, two 8-pane sashes at first floor, with parapet and coping. 3 bays
to right have 4-centred arched 12-pane sashes with sidelights, ground floor has two
4-centred arched recesses with 9-pane lights and sidelights, one to right formerly
door; to right a C20 door, with slate sundial set over, the gnomon, dated 1716, with
inscription: Quotidie morior. Modillion cornice. The wing to left is of 2 storeys
on basement and ground floor, with 4-centred arched sashes, 6-pane at basement and
12-pane at ground floor. Wide flat-roofed dormer above, with 12-pane sash and 8-pane
sashes as sidelights. Modillion cornice. End wing to right has 16-pane sash at
ground floor, 12-pane sash at first floor and single storey C20 addition with ramped
parapet to inner side, with C20 door, 4-pane sash and 2-light casement. The left
side is the garden front, with 3-bays to right and left and central canted bay
through 2 storeys with gable over. Through the whole facade, basement has 4-centred
arched 6-pane sashes, ground floor has 4-centred arched 12-pane sashes, 3 flat-roofed
dormers to left and right, each with 12-pane sash, two 12-pane sashes in central
gable. Ground floor window to right has C20 door inserted. Rear is of 3 bays with
modillion cornice; sashes and 3 flat-roofed dormers as at left side. To left, the
wing of the U-plan has 16-pane sash at ground floor, 12-pane sash at first floor.
Interior: Not accessible at time of survey (August 1986).
Listing NGR: SX3075359594
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings