This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.3344 / 50°20'3"N
Longitude: -4.2005 / 4°12'1"W
OS Eastings: 243489
OS Northings: 50592
OS Grid: SX434505
Mapcode National: GBR NT.X6W0
Mapcode Global: FRA 2824.Z8L
Entry Name: Grey House and No 2 with Attached Walls
Listing Date: 26 January 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1140645
English Heritage Legacy ID: 61821
Location: Maker-with-Rame, Cornwall, PL10
Civil Parish: Maker-with-Rame
Built-Up Area: Kingsand
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: Maker
Church of England Diocese: Truro
SX 45 SW MAKER-WITH-RAME KINGSAND VILLAGE
9/165 Grey House and No. 2 with attached
Pair of attached houses, built on top of the Amherst Battery, walls remaining to
front facing sea. Battery circa 1770, houses c. 1800 with C20 alterations.
Sandstone rubble, painted at front basement, rendered at ground floor and slate-hung
above. Hipped slate roof with brick stacks to rear.
Each house of single depth, 2-room plan with central entrance. The gun platform of
the battery extends to east, with sandstone rubble walls.
Each house of 3 storeys and 3 windows, all C20 casements with glazing bars in the
Grey House, UPVC sashes to No. 2. Grey House has central 6-panelled replacement door
in plain surround with dentilled pediment. No. 2 has 6-panelled door with plain
overlight and dentilled pediment. Each with 2 basement windows. Left side of the
Grey House has C20 casement at ground floor and statue fixed at upper level.
Interior of The Grey House Entrance to stair hall, dog-leg stair to rear with moulded
handrail, stick balusters with worm-holes in them made by the teredo worm, which is
well known for destruction of submerged timbers in ships; column newels and moulded
string, horizontal panelling to side walls. Room to front left has panelled
partition wall and dado panelling to outer walls, moulded cornice and cupboards to
rear right and left. Room to front right has 6-panelled door, room completely
panelled. Chimneypiece to rear with pilasters, frieze with Greek key moulding and
moulded mantel, panelled cupboards to right and left. To front corner, cupboard with
round-arched Gothic glazed door, with pilasters and dentil cornice. Dado rail and
panelled window shutters.
At first floor, room to left has cornice, dado panelling, one cupboard to rear and 4-
panelled door. Room to right has panelled partition wall, dado panelling, cupboards
with drawers to rear and cornice. At 2nd floor, 4-panelled doors, dado panelling and
rear cupboards, room to right has chimneypiece with eared architrave and moulded
Basement originally the powder magazine for the Battery.
Interior of No. 2 Not inspected.
Battery walls Designed. to control the Kingsand/Cawsand beaches with '12 eighteen
pounders', the battery's remains consist of a gun platform jutting from the cliffside
about 50 feet above sea level. The seaward facing wall is about 20 feet high and
about 85 feet long, with buttresses. 67 feet of the parapet is barbette, the rest is
embrasured; part of the north east corner has been rebuilt.
(Sources: Sheppard, P.: The Amherst Gun Battery, Kingsand)
Listing NGR: SX4348950592
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings