This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 50.4678 / 50°28'4"N
Longitude: -4.2722 / 4°16'19"W
OS Eastings: 238845
OS Northings: 65576
OS Grid: SX388655
Mapcode National: GBR NQ.MSKG
Mapcode Global: FRA 17YT.FGP
Entry Name: Church of St Mellanus
Listing Date: 26 November 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1140815
English Heritage Legacy ID: 61428
Location: St. Mellion, Cornwall, PL12
Civil Parish: St. Mellion
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: St Mellion
Church of England Diocese: Truro
ST MELLION ST MELLION
SX 36 NE
8/217 Church of St Mellanus
Parish church. Dedicated by Bishop Bronescombe in 1259. Site of Norman Church with
remains possibly in nave, chancel and south transept walls. Nave, chancel and south
transept partly rebuilt in circa mid C14. South transept partly rebuilt again in
circa 1862. Tower circa mid C15 and north aisle circa mid to late C15. Porch circa
early C16. Restored in 1862. Nave porch, chancel and south transept of stone -
rubble. North aisle of large blocks of granite ashlar with stone rubble below
moulded plinth. Tower of large blocks of coursed granite ashlar with Roborough stone
moulded decoration. Slate roofs, nave and chancel in one. West tower of 3 stages
with thin diagonal buttresses, battlement parapet and pinnacles. West door with
moulded pointed arch with rectangular hoodmould. Quatrefoils in spandrels. Circa
C16 or C17 studded double boarded door. 3-light Perpendicular window above with
hollow chamfered jambs and arch. Continuous hoodmould. 3-light belfry openings with
mid C15 Perpendicular tracery beneath 4-centred arch. Gargoyles in cornice below
parapet on north and south sides. North aisle with 3-light Perpendicular tracery in
east and west window with two, 3-light Perpendicular windows in rectangular surrounds
on north wall. North door with 4-centred heavily hollow chamfered arch. C19 vestry
projects form east end of north wall with reset 3-light Perpendicular window with
cusped heads, hoodmould with square label stops. Chancel with 3-light Perpendicular
tracery. South transept with C19 renewed late Decorated tracery. South window of
transept renewed or heavily restored with 3-light window beneath 4-centred arch with
hoodmould. Late reticulated tracery with quatrefoils above lights. 3-light
Perpendicular window between south transept and south porch. Rectangular hoodmould.
South porch with gabled end and thin diagonal buttresses and moulded string. Moulded
almost round-headed granite arch with plain stops. Pointed moulded arch to south
door with circa C16/C17 double boarded door, studded with strap hinges.
Interior. North aisle and nave roofs intact with original sealed waggon roofs with
moulded ribs and carved bosses. Moulded stone wall plates. North aisle with carved
timber wall plate and moulded timber arcade plate. Nave with carved timber arcade
plate with intertwined foliage divided by shields. South side unornamented. Chancel
boarded with renewed wall plates and largely recarved bosses. South transept with
probably renewed recarved bosses. South transept with probably renewed unsealed
waggon roof. 5-bay north aisle with type A (Pevsner) moulded granite piers. Moulded
bases carved capitals with'stylized decorations of abaci including banded rings,
quatrefoils and horizontal, vertical and oblique lines. 4-centred arcade arches,
moulded with double hollow chamfers. Tower arch almost stilted pointed with type A
(Pevsner) mouldings to piers with tall moulded bases. South transept arch almost
4-centred with type A (Pevsner) mouldings to piers. Moulded capitals and bases.
Furnishings largely C19 and C20. Early C17 pulpit, octagonal with carved pilasters
and decorated round arches on panels. Moulded cornice. Renewed granite base. Circa
1330s piscinas with Decorated ogee cusped arches in south wall of south transept and
in south wall of chancel. Octagonal font with octagonal shaft and square base.
Monuments; In east end of north aisle, 2 monuments to Coryton family; to William
Coryton, died 1651 and wife who died in 1646. Figures in aedicular surround,
kneeling en face with prayer table between. Remains of ancient colour on figures. 2
pairs of marble columns with Composite capitals with similar pilasters and colum to
rear support a richly moulded entablature decorated with cherubs heads in the frieze.
Coffer-vaulted arch above surmounted by a broken pediment with a large painted coat
of arms. Slate tablet with inscription to rear of figures. On tall moulded base.
Further monument to Sir William Coryton, died 1711 and wife Susanna died 1695. With
exception of dress of kneeling figures, the fluting of the columns and the design of
the prayer table, the monument closely copies the design of that to William Coryton,
1651 and is thus a very late example of the type.
Other monuments to Coryton family in south transept. Include those to John Coryton,
died 1803 and Mary Jemima his wife, died 1779. Sarcophagus with urn; to John Tillie
Coryton died 1843 and wife Elizabeth died 1824. Sarcophagus with inscription
surmounted by urn and coat of arms; to William Coryton, died 1836. Simple well
designed classical memorial by Thomas and Edward Gaffin; Brass in chancel to Peter
Coryton, died 1551, in armour with wife Jane, daughter of John Tregasoo with 24
children below. Coloured heraldic arms. Marginal inscription.
Clock in west tower presented by Charlotte Coryton of Pentillie castle, 1894. Church
possibly stands on a Lan.
Rev. H. Haines A Manual of Monumental Brasses 1861 rp 1970
N. Pevsner and E. Radcliffe The Buidings of England, Cornwall 2nd ed. 1972
J. Polsue Lakes Parochial History of the County of Cornwall 1867-73 rp 1974
Listing NGR: SX3884865576
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings