History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Tregye, the Duchy Grammar School

A Grade II Listed Building in Carnon Downs, Cornwall

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.2205 / 50°13'13"N

Longitude: -5.073 / 5°4'22"W

OS Eastings: 180885

OS Northings: 40132

OS Grid: SW808401

Mapcode National: GBR ZD.P8LT

Mapcode Global: FRA 088F.TQF

Entry Name: Tregye, the Duchy Grammar School

Listing Date: 12 March 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1140898

English Heritage Legacy ID: 63308

Location: Feock, Cornwall, TR3

County: Cornwall

Civil Parish: Feock

Built-Up Area: Carnon Downs

Traditional County: Cornwall

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall

Church of England Parish: Devoran

Church of England Diocese: Truro

Find accommodation in
Kea

Listing Text

SW 84 SW FEOCK

2/33 Tregye, The Duchy Grammar School

II

Country house, now used as school. 1809. Built for William Penrose, extended and
remodelled late C19. Elvan ashlar walls and chimneys. Hipped dry Delabole slate
roof with slightly projecting eaves and gabled roof dormers.
Rectangular plan 3-room wide and 2-rooms deep with thick cross chimney walls and
axial passage leading to stairs at right-hand side. Original canted bay projecting
to middle room (east) and late C19 1-shaped service wing attached to rear of north
end.
2 storeys plus attic over basement. Symmetrical 5-window east garden front with
central canted bay with 3 windows flanked by 1-window bays with windows closer to
side walls. Basement as plinth. Plain parapet survives to central bay with 2-
window. Large later gable dormer over. Left-hand dormer window is now door. Flat
arches with projecting keystones over original openings with 12-pane hornless sashes.
4-window south entrance front has C20 flat roofed single storey extension to middle
obscuring original entrance to third ground floor opening from left with initials
W.P. and date 1809 over. Arch and jambs are slightly recessed, and scalloped
decoration of voussoirs is repeated in glazing pattern. Dormers have ashlar gables
of probably reused stone of dismantled parapet. Original stair window to north.
Interior has much surviving early C19 detail including panelled window shutters,
some original doors, some panelled reveals, and plaster ceiling cornices. Small room
to south east has original moulded cornice. Room to south west has simple moulded
ceiling band and central room to north of this has moulded cornice and ceiling band.
Central front room is octagonal with inner partition reflecting the canted bay.
Ceiling has trailing rose band and central rose with carvings of the fruits of
harvest. Late C19 open-well open-string stair with turned balusters, (turnings
divided by mid-way square block) mahogany handrail and turned newel posts with turned
finials. Revival style of early C18 type but in position of original stair. First
floor and attic not inspected.


Listing NGR: SW8088540132

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.