This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.2243 / 50°13'27"N
Longitude: -5.0755 / 5°4'31"W
OS Eastings: 180724
OS Northings: 40560
OS Grid: SW807405
Mapcode National: GBR ZD.NV8W
Mapcode Global: FRA 088F.DJC
Entry Name: Killiganoon House and Garden Walls
Listing Date: 12 March 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1159125
English Heritage Legacy ID: 63292
Location: Feock, Cornwall, TR3
Civil Parish: Feock
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: Devoran
Church of England Diocese: Truro
SW 84 SW FEOCK
2/4 Killiganoon House and garden walls
Country house with adjoining garden walls. Circa 1750. Built for Richard Hussey.
(NMR). Reroofed and refloored and slightly remodelled circa 1874-5 following serious
fire in 1873. Finely coursed slatestone to garden front with granite quoins and
keystones. Painted brick-faced side and entrance front walls. Dry Delabole slate
roof with gable ends in the form of pediments and modillion eaves cornices to front
and rear circa 1875. Brick chimneys over partition walls are in their original
positions formerly over the ridges of the C18 double span roof but now to front and
rear of single span roof ridge.
Main part is double depth plan with 3 principal ground floor rooms to garden front
central room with canted bay. Large stair/entrance hall behind central and left-hand
room, further reception room behind right-hand room, plus small room to rear left of
stair hall and service range to south-west side.
2 storeys. 2:2:3:2 bays south east garden front with 2 window service wing to left
at lower level. Walling to ground floor sill level with blocked window opening may
survive from earlier house. Further single storey service range to far left. Main
part, originally symmetrical, with granite plinth and central canted 3 window bay
surmounted by polygonal roof. Ground floor French windows have marginal glazed
overlights. Right-hand ground floor openings partly blocked with central pier
removed to form 1 large window, C20. Other windows are circa 1875 horned sashes with
marginal glazing in original C18 openings with shallow arches over. Original circa
1875 gutters with downpipe on side wall. 5-window north west entrance front has
plinth, granite quoins and brick facing slightly remodelled circa 1875 (originally 3
storeys). 1:3:1 bays with central bays broken forward and surmounted by pediment
with Venetian window within tympanum lighting roof space. Tetrastyle wooden porch
with shallow arches between Doric columns. Entrance originally central but now
blocked and entrance now in former window position to right. Enlarged opening with
C20 transomed casement and smaller C20 casement in original C18 opening in right-hand
bay. Other windows are circa 1875 horned sashes with marginal glazing. Tympanums of
gables to side walls are rubble of circa 1875 over C18 brick below pediment level.
Interior of circa 1875 survives almost complete with features of early-mid C18
style in the Victorian manner including open-well, open-string pitch pine stair with
turned balusters, wreathed handrail over newel and cantilevered landing; plaster
cornices with modillions to stair hall and to front north; plaster cornices in all
principal rooms, door architraves and panelled reveals. Central front room, with
projecting bay, has high dado panelling and stone fireplace with moulded jambs and
moulded arched hood probably slightly later. Similar style fireplace in stair hall
vestibule. 2 stone and marble tablets survive from C18 house, one with figure of
Britannia, separated from chariot, now resited in original door position. Roof
structure is of curious triangulated wooden girders between cross walls. Adjoining
C18 slate coped slatestone rubble garden walls survive enclosing a rectangular garden
to south east front, and screen service area by entrance front to north.
Listing NGR: SW8072440560
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings