This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.2227 / 50°13'21"N
Longitude: -5.0864 / 5°5'11"W
OS Eastings: 179935
OS Northings: 40417
OS Grid: SW799404
Mapcode National: GBR ZC.C51L
Mapcode Global: FRA 087F.N76
Plus Code: 9C2P6WF7+3C
Entry Name: Carnon Downs Methodist Church
Listing Date: 14 April 1999
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1386528
English Heritage Legacy ID: 473919
Location: Feock, Cornwall, TR3
Civil Parish: Feock
Built-Up Area: Carnon Downs
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: Devoran
Church of England Diocese: Truro
SW 74 SE FEOCK CARNON DOWNS
1045/1/10013 Carnon Downs Methodist
Nonconformist (Wesleyan) chapel with integral schoolroom and vestry. 1825 inscription. Stucco with stucco detail; grouted scantle slate roof. Rectangular aisle-less plan with gallery at ritual west end. Symmetrical pedimented 3-window front end with plinth, quoin strips and rustication
to the round-arched openings. Original hornless sashes with spoked fanlight heads lighting the gallery. Ground floor has close grouping of central doorway with flanking windows. The doorway has Y-traceried fanlight and pair of panelled doors. Windows are transomed with Y tracery above. Side elevations have 2 tall round-arched windows to the chapel part and the right-hand side also has a 2-storey 1-window range to the schoolrom/vestry. Rear has original round-arched doorway to the left with spoked fanlight and 6-panel door with flush bottom panels. To 1st-floor centre and right are original round-arched windows with hornless sashes with glazing bars and fanlight heads and there is another original sash central below.
INTERIOR: original gallery with panelled front cantilevered out on paired brackets and carried on 4 Tuscan columns, and there are 2 flights of stairs leading to the gallery; original plasterwork with moulded ceiling cornices and there is an elliptical arch to the organ loft.
FITTINGS: panelled box pews with ramped ends to gallery, otherwise late C19 pitch pine pews with shaped ends. There is a very fine and unusual panelled and pilastered rostrum with vaulted octagonal lecturn rising from a moulded shelf on consoles. At either side is an open-string straight flight of stairs with turned balusters and newels. In front of the rostrum is a moulded communion rail carried on an ornate cast-iron balustrade. Behind the rostrum is a canted organ loft with pilastered and panelled front balustrade with ornate cast-iron panels with scrolled and anthemeon detail. There are late C19 choir pews behind and a large panelled pipe organ.
The gallery, box pews and unusual rostrum enhance the interest of this chapel, and there are some good original windows.
Listing NGR: SW7993540417
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings