This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.2798 / 50°16'47"N
Longitude: -4.9907 / 4°59'26"W
OS Eastings: 187020
OS Northings: 46484
OS Grid: SW870464
Mapcode National: GBR ZK.VD99
Mapcode Global: FRA 08F9.9JK
Entry Name: Tresillian Church
Listing Date: 27 November 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1141054
English Heritage Legacy ID: 62872
Location: St. Michael Penkevil, Cornwall, TR2
Civil Parish: St. Michael Penkevil
Built-Up Area: Tresillian
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: Tresillian and Lamorran with Merther
Church of England Diocese: Truro
SW 84 NE ST MICHAEL PENKIVEL A39 (South side)
- Tresillian Church, Tresillian
Small church. First built as Chapel of Ease 1878, rebuilt 1904. Elvan, shale and
slate rubble with freestone dressings and steep Delabole slate roofs with coped
gable ends. Arts and Crafts Gothic style. Nave, chancel, south aisle, vestry and
north porch. West front has large ashlar gabled bellcote with 3 bells supported by
buttressed gable end. 2-light west nave window below with cusped heads and
quatrefoil within moulded pointed arch. Bells are within cusped arches with middle
one at higher level. Aisle gable, right with cusped lancet. Similar windows to
north wall of nave, south wall of aisle and porch gable. Small quatrefoil to west
wall of porch which is set back slightly from nave west gable end. Chancel has 3-
light lancet east gable window and machicolated north eaves cornice. Chimney over
vestry has louvre with arched gable ends. Pointed arched doorway to east side of
Interior: freestone arcade of pointed arches corbelled out and supported on
octagonal piers; similar but larger chancel arch; piscina on shaft in chancel;
scissor-braced pine roof to nave and arch braced pine roof to south aisle.
Original pine pews with shaped ends. Other fittings of note are from Church of St
Cohan, Merther (q.v.); Pentewan stone font probably C12 with octagonal shaft;
Jacobean C17 polygonal oak pulpit with carved panels; figure of Saint Antony in
Catecleuse stone (first found in Scoan Field by Holy Well of Saint Cohan q.v.) and
holy water stoup.
Right-hand bell in bellcote is from Church of Saint Moran, Lamorran (q.v.) and
others from Church of Saint Cohan, Merther (q.v.).
Listing NGR: SW8702046484
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings