History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

1, Angel Hill

A Grade II Listed Building in Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.2442 / 52°14'39"N

Longitude: 0.7158 / 0°42'56"E

OS Eastings: 585506

OS Northings: 264143

OS Grid: TL855641

Mapcode National: GBR QF0.7SL

Mapcode Global: VHKD4.CV7G

Entry Name: 1, Angel Hill

Listing Date: 7 August 1952

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1141151

English Heritage Legacy ID: 466620

Location: Bury St. Edmunds, St. Edmundsbury, Suffolk, IP33

County: Suffolk

District: St. Edmundsbury

Civil Parish: Bury St Edmunds

Built-Up Area: Bury St Edmunds

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Bury St Edmunds St Mary

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Bury Saint Edmunds

Listing Text


BURY ST EDMUNDS

TL8564SE ANGEL HILL
639-1/8/159 (West side)
07/08/52 No.1

GV II

House, now used as doctors' surgeries on the ground storey
with living accommodation above; forms part of a complex
group, part C20, extending southwards along Athenaeum Lane and
westwards to Angel Lane. Reconstructed c1815/1816 on an older
site. White brick. Slate roof with a plain eaves soffit.
EXTERIOR: 3 storeys, 5 window range to front, 12-pane sashes
to the 1st storey, 6-pane to the 2nd storey and sashes with
plate glass to the ground storey, all in cased frames with
deep reveals and flat gauged arches over. A raised stucco band
runs below the 1st storey windows. A recessed central doorway
with a semicircular surround within a Doric portico with
fluted pillars and a heavy entablature.
A single-storey C20 range links the back of the building with
the former stable block facing on to Angel Lane. The front of
the stables facing the inner courtyard has a colour-washed
wall of kidney flint and red brick, a plain
semicircular-headed doorway and a wide segmental-arched
opening infilled with a window. On the upper storey 3 12-pane
sash windows in deep segmental-arched red brick reveals. C18
middle window with thick ovolo-moulded glazing bars. The Angel
Lane side of the stable was extended with a white brick front
which has a wide central semicircular arched opening flanked
by 2 semicircular headed doorways with radiating glazing-bars
to their fanlights.
INTERIOR: the main house has a hallway paved with limestone
flags and linking black dots. Plaster cornices with
acanthus-leaf decoration and floral motifs to the ground
storey rooms. Panelled doors and internal shutters. At the
rear, a semicircular-headed archway with moulded surrounds and
sunk panels to the reveals. The date of rebuilding is
indicated by an entry in the town Rate Book.


Listing NGR: TL8550664143

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.