This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.2446 / 52°14'40"N
Longitude: 0.7155 / 0°42'55"E
OS Eastings: 585490
OS Northings: 264186
OS Grid: TL854641
Mapcode National: GBR QF0.7Q7
Mapcode Global: VHKD4.CV45
Entry Name: Angel Hotel
Listing Date: 7 August 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1141153
English Heritage Legacy ID: 466622
Location: Bury St. Edmunds, St. Edmundsbury, Suffolk, IP33
District: St. Edmundsbury
Civil Parish: Bury St Edmunds
Built-Up Area: Bury St Edmunds
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: Bury St Edmunds St Mary
Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich
BURY ST EDMUNDS
TL8564SW ANGEL HILL
639-1/14/161 (West side)
Hotel. Rebuilt 1774-76 for the Guildhall Feoffees on an
earlier inn site to a design by Mr Redgrave; C13 undercroft.
White brick; slate roof with a parapet, stone cornice and
EXTERIOR: 3 storeys and attics; undercroft; later cellars. The
original range has rusticated brick to the ground storey and
quoins; a raised stone band runs below the 1st storey windows.
7 window range, arranged 2:3:2 with the centre breaking
forward slightly: all small-paned sashes in deep reveals. A
Diocletian window in the pediment. A central doorway with a
semicircular fanlight has a large projecting distyle porch in
Adam style with a dentil cornice to the architrave and
ornamental cast-iron railings above. It is approached up
flanking stone steps with cast-iron railings. An arched
carriage entrance on the left was added by William Steggles in
1818 and was built over in 1921/2 with a range the height of
the main building in matching style: 4 sash windows to each
INTERIOR: the outstanding feature of the interior is the fine
C13 undercroft below part of the main building, now used as a
restaurant. In 3 bays, with stone ribs to the quadripartite
vaulting and octagonal supporting pillars. The ballroom was
built in the early C19 over an open ground storey against the
back of the former stable block which faces on to Angel Lane.
The 5-window range facing into the courtyard has now been
extended into the upper storey of the stable block. Interior
walls with Ionic pilasters faced with mirror glass; a shell
added to each capital. At the south end the pilasters flank a
large central mirror. This was probably the Subscription Room
of Thomas Bridgman, landlord of the Angel, mentioned in
Payne's Survey of 1833. The Angel Hotel was sold by the
Guildhall Feoffees in 1917.
(BOE: Pevsner N: Radcliffe E: Suffolk: London: 1974-: 148).
Listing NGR: TL8549064186
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings