History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Bellrock Hotel and Attached Wall and Railings

A Grade II Listed Building in Hugh town, Isles of Scilly

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 49.9146 / 49°54'52"N

Longitude: -6.3125 / 6°18'45"W

OS Eastings: 90523

OS Northings: 10523

OS Grid: SV905105

Mapcode National: GBR BXSX.CC5

Mapcode Global: VGYC4.JDPS

Entry Name: Bellrock Hotel and Attached Wall and Railings

Listing Date: 6 April 1959

Last Amended: 14 December 1992

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1141214

English Heritage Legacy ID: 62487

Location: St. Mary's, Isles of Scilly, TR21

County: Isles of Scilly

Civil Parish: St. Mary's

Built-Up Area: Hugh town

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall

Church of England Parish: Isles of Scilly

Church of England Diocese: Truro

Find accommodation in
Hugh Town

Listing Text

ST. MARY'S

SV9010 CHURCH STREET, Hugh Town
1358-0/8/47 (South side)
06/04/59 Bellrock Hotel and attached walls
and railings
(Formerly Listed as:
CHURCH STREET, Hugh Town
(South side)
Bell Rock Hotel And Bell Rock Hotel
on West)

GV II

House, now hotel. Early C19 with mid C20 additions and
external details. Granite rubble with aggregate render; green
cement tile roof and rendered ridge and end stacks.
Double-depth plan. 2 storeys with attics; original 3-window
range front to left (east) has quoins to left and 6/6-pane
sashes; 2-window range west wing, heightened in C20 from
single storey to 2 storey, has C20 six/six-pane and 8/8-pane
sashes,C20 part-glazed doors in quoined surround, quoins to
left and plat band. C20 hipped dormers with sashes.
Interior:6-fielded-panelled doors set in moulded architraves;
moulded shutter boxes and architraves to windows. Fine,
possibly reset, fanlight with 1780s leadwork and glazed
sunburst lights and outer band of roundels with florets and
swags; early C19 anthemion detail applied on one side only
suggests re-use of whole light in this position, with Greek
revival pilasters below. Hall has Vitruvian scroll and
anthemion cornice. Dog-leg staircase with swept string,
mahogany handrail and simple turned newel posts from basement
to attics. Room at east with simple reeded cornice, black
polished marble fireplace, long drawn-out scroll brackets and
deep shelf. Subsidsiary features: coursed and dressed granite
forecourt walls surmounted by spear-headed railings
interrupted by urn finials.


Listing NGR: SV9052310523

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.