History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Atlantic Hotel

A Grade II Listed Building in Hugh town, Isles of Scilly

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 49.9154 / 49°54'55"N

Longitude: -6.3172 / 6°19'1"W

OS Eastings: 90195

OS Northings: 10623

OS Grid: SV901106

Mapcode National: GBR BXSX.38M

Mapcode Global: VGYC4.GD77

Entry Name: The Atlantic Hotel

Listing Date: 12 February 1975

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1141220

English Heritage Legacy ID: 62504

Location: St. Mary's, Isles of Scilly, TR21

County: Isles of Scilly

Civil Parish: St. Mary's

Built-Up Area: Hugh town

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall

Church of England Parish: Isles of Scilly

Church of England Diocese: Truro

Find accommodation in
Hugh Town

Listing Text

ST. MARY'S

SV9010 HUGH STREET, Hugh Town
1358-0/8/65 (North side)
12/02/75 The Atlantic Hotel

GV II

Custom House and hotel, now hotel. Late C18 and C19;
remodelled 1927 by Richardson and Gill for Duchy of Cornwall
estate. Coursed and squared granite; slate roofs, gabled to
rear wings and half-hipped to main front corner block with
granite end stacks; gabled artificial slate roof to range on
right. Double-depth plan, with 2 parallel rear wings
projecting to left (west). Main front corner block of 2
storeys with attics; symmetrical 3-window range. Central
doorcase has Greek revival painted pilasters to brackets with
Greek key pattern supporting cornice. Granite lintels over
late C19 horned 2/2-pane sashes; similar sashes to hipped
dormers with slate-hung cheeks. Early C19 two-storey extension
to right (east): symmetrical 3-window range has granite
lintels over central door and similar sashes. Two-storey wings
to rear, with overhanging eaves, horned 6/6-pane sashes and
segmental-arched opening with C20 window (probably to former
barrel store), incorporate Custom House of 1840.
Interior: much remodelled in C20 but includes open fireplaces
with granite lintels.


Listing NGR: SV9019510623

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.