This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.707 / 50°42'25"N
Longitude: -3.2886 / 3°17'18"W
OS Eastings: 309108
OS Northings: 90500
OS Grid: SY091905
Mapcode National: GBR P7.45HH
Mapcode Global: FRA 4706.LNC
Entry Name: Ellon House Including Outbuildings and Courtyard Wall to North West
Listing Date: 26 May 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1141408
English Heritage Legacy ID: 352388
Location: Newton Poppleford and Harpford, East Devon, Devon, EX10
District: East Devon
Civil Parish: Newton Poppleford and Harpford
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Harpford St Gregory the Great
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SY 09 SE NEWTON POPPLEFORD HARPFORD
4/66 Ellon House including
- outbuildings and courtyard wall to
House and outbuildings. Circa 1850. Plastered stone rubble or brick; probably
brick stacks with plastered brick chimney shafts; slate roofs.
L-shaped building in which the main block facing west has a 2-room plan with central
entrance hall and staircase. The right (southern) room has a rear lateral stack and
the left (northern) room has an end stack. Single room rear block at right angles on
left end. The service courtyard attached to the left end is on a slightly different
axis. The service room adjoining the left is 1 room and there is a 2-room cottage
at right angles to it projecting forward with a C20 garage in front. The cobble
courtyard in front of the serivce room and cottage is enclosed by a cob wall. 2
The main house has a symmetrical 5-window front of circa 1850 fenestration,
comprising French windows to the ground floor with glazing bars and containing glass
panes the same size as the first floor sashes, a central 12-pane sash flanked by 16-
pane sashes, a central 12-pane sash flanked by 16-pane sashes. Central part-glazed
and panelled door with hip-roofed open porch with trellis sides. Roof is gable-
ended. The service room has C19 casements with glazing bars and is gable-ended with
a roof lower than the main block. The cottage is also gable-ended and the same
height as the service room. It has a 2-window front of 12-pane sashes and central
plank door. In the left (west) end is an arch-headed window with glazing bars
turning to a Gothic pattern in the head. The tall wall around the cobbled courtyard
is plastered cob on rubble footings with interlocking tile coping.
Interior retains a good deal of original detail.
An attractive and little modernised house.
Shown as Riverside on OS map.
Listing NGR: SY0910890500
Other nearby listed buildings