History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Former Pumping Engine House and Chimney of West Wheal Kitty Mine

A Grade II Listed Building in St Agnes, Cornwall

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.311 / 50°18'39"N

Longitude: -5.2036 / 5°12'12"W

OS Eastings: 172005

OS Northings: 50579

OS Grid: SW720505

Mapcode National: GBR Z4.KJ79

Mapcode Global: VH125.RFGY

Entry Name: Former Pumping Engine House and Chimney of West Wheal Kitty Mine

Listing Date: 16 July 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1141485

English Heritage Legacy ID: 63840

Location: St. Agnes, Cornwall, TR5

County: Cornwall

Civil Parish: St. Agnes

Built-Up Area: St Agnes

Traditional County: Cornwall

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall

Church of England Parish: St Agnes

Church of England Diocese: Truro

Find accommodation in
St. Agnes

Listing Text

ST AGNES
SW 75 SW
4/212 Former Pumping Engine House and
16.7.85 chimney of West Wheal Kitty Mine
GV II

Pumping beam engine house. Circa 1889. Killas rubble with granite quoins, brick
arches over principal openings, some granite lintels. Brick to upper part of
chimney.
Plan: Rectangular plan engine house with round chimney clasping the rear left-hand
corner. No wooden floors or roof structure. A 40" engine built by Harvey and Co in
1863 was moved to West Wheal Kitty, then moved to Carpalla, and is now at the Science
Museum.
Exterior: 3 storeys. Unaltered elevations. Round-headed openings to front, rear and
nearside walls. Front (bob) wall has central doorway. Rear wall has central wide
cylinder doorway and window opening to each floor above. Right-hand (nearside wall)
has 4 irregularly disposed window openings and 2 smaller openings. Left-hand
(offside) walls has doorway on the right and small opening to each of the other
floors.
Source: Sharpe, Adam and Smith, John. Engine Houses in St Agnes Parish. (Cornwall
Archaeological Unit survey for Carrick District Council.


Listing NGR: SW7200550579

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.