This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 50.3101 / 50°18'36"N
Longitude: -5.2033 / 5°12'11"W
OS Eastings: 172018
OS Northings: 50480
OS Grid: SW720504
Mapcode National: GBR Z4.KJ9S
Mapcode Global: VH125.RGKM
Entry Name: Miners and Mechanics Institute, Including Boundary Walls, Gate-Piers and Railings
Listing Date: 31 October 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1141497
English Heritage Legacy ID: 63872
Location: St. Agnes, Cornwall, TR5
Civil Parish: St. Agnes
Built-Up Area: St Agnes
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: St Agnes
Church of England Diocese: Truro
ST AGNES VICARAGE ROAD (west side),
SW 75 SW
4/244 Miners and Mechanics Institute,
including boundary walls,gate-piers
- and railings
Institute, including boundary walls, gate-piers and railings. Datestone 1893. Built
by J. Passmore Edwards (patron) to a design by W.J. Wills. Killas brought to course
granite dressings. Dry Delabole slate gabled roofs. Brick chimneys over the gable
ends at left and right. Cast-iron ogee-section gutters.
Plan: 2 principal rooms flanking a central entrance hall and subsidiary rooms
Exterior: Single storey. Symmetrical l:l:l-bay front with each gabled bay broken
forward from the overall wall plane. Central bay has round-headed doorway with
hoodmould. Coped gable over moulded cornice is flanked by pinnacles and surmounted
by a shaped finial. Within the gable is a shallow shaped niche with the initials
J.P.E. and date 1893. Original panelled doors and fanlight with coloured glass and
clock to the middle.
Flanking bays have coped gables with moulded kneelers and finials; the stepped
tripartite mullioned windows have round-headed central lights and transoms. Original
small-paned windows; the upper lights have marginal panes.
Interior not inspected.
Garden in front of the institute is flanked by rubble coped rubble walls and fronted
by low rubble walls with rock-faced granite copings surmounted by the original ornate
cast-iron railings. Square-on-plan rock faced granite gate-piers and terminal piers
with pyramdial caps.
This institute is one of 4 institutes in Cornwall donated by J. Passmore Edwards.
Source: R.S. Best, John Passmore Edwards.
Listing NGR: SW7201850480
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings