This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 50.3779 / 50°22'40"N
Longitude: -5.1152 / 5°6'54"W
OS Eastings: 178609
OS Northings: 57757
OS Grid: SW786577
Mapcode National: GBR Z9.Q9HX
Mapcode Global: FRA 0851.H1T
Plus Code: 9C2P9VHM+5W
Entry Name: Church of St Cubert
Listing Date: 30 May 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1141573
English Heritage Legacy ID: 63662
Location: Cubert, Cornwall, TR8
Civil Parish: Cubert
Built-Up Area: Cubert
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: Cubert
Church of England Diocese: Truro
SW 75 NE
2/14 Church of St Cubert
Parish church. C13 origin; tower added circa 1300; additions of circa mid C15.
Restored by G.E. Street 1846-9; tower rebuilt 1852. Slatestone rubble with granite
dressings. Tower in slatestone rubble with broached stone spire. Slate roofs with
ridge tiles and gable ends; the south transept retains some hand-made crested ridge
Plan: The church may originally have been cruciform, the nave with north and south
transepts; the chancel was extended, the masonry showing an irregular joint between
the nave and the chancel on the north side. Circa 1300, the west tower was added.
Circa mid C15, the south aisle was added, with south transept and south porch.
Exterior: Of the nave, only the north wall and north doorway are visible; the doorway
has 2-centred arch with triple hollow mouldings, C19 plank double doors. The chancel
east end has C19 Perpendicular window of 3 cusped lights with tracery, hood mould and
relieving arch. Small 2-light C19 north window with cusped lights, upper quatrefoil,
2-centred arch and hood mould. There is an irregular joint in the masonry to the
nave at the north side.
The north transept has raised coped verges and cross finial to the north gable. 2-
light north window, probably C14, with trefoil lights and upper hexfoil, with 2-
centred arch, hood mould and relieving arch. C19 east window of 2 cusped lights with
square head and hood mould.
West tower on chamfered plinth, in 3 stages, with set back weathered buttresses
rising to the level of the first stage; weathered string course at the top of the
second and third stage; octagonal broached. spire with finial. C19 2-light west
window of 2 cusped lights, with trefoil and 2-centred arch. Second stage has lancet
to west. Third stage has C19 2-light bell-openings with 2-centred arches, cusped
lights with trefoil and slate louvres and hood mould.
The south aisle is of 5 bays including the porch and the transept. The east gable
end has C20 cross finial and 3-light C19 window with sharply pointed trefoil lights,
4-centred arch and hood mould; upper relieving arch remaining from earlier window
opening. The west gable end has similar C19 2-light window with trefoil lights,
elongated upper quatrefoil, 2-centred arch and hood mould. To south, at the east end
there is a C15 3-light window with 4-centred arch and hood mould, cusped lights and
C19 mullions. To left of the porch a 3-light C19 window with cusped lights, square
head and hood mould; to right a 2-light C19 window with trefoil lights, upper
trefoil, 2-centred arch and hood mould.
The south porch is gabled, with raised coped verges and 2-centred arched moulded
outer doorway; C19 east iron gate with spear finials and circles to the mid rail. The
interior of the porch has slate floor and stone benches; roof of circa C18 with
principal rafters and cambered collars. Granite inner doorway with triple roll-
mouldings, 4-centred arch with recessed spandrels with quatrefoils, C17 plank door
with studs and fleur-de-lys strap hinges on the inside.
The south transept has south gable end with C19 2-light window with 2-centred arch
and hood mould, sharply pointed trefoil lights and elongated quatrefoil above,
banded relieving arch with keystone and recessed springers remaining from the earlier
window. No windows to east or west.
Interior: Plastered walls and slate paved floor. The nave has a ceiled wagon roof,
with part of a carved C15 wall-plate visible on the south wall; there may be further
C15 carved members remaining above the ceiling. The chancel has C15 wagon roof with
carved ribs and bosses, ceiled, with carved wall-plates, to south supported on
granite corbels. The south aisle has C15 wagon roof with moulded ribs, no bosses,
and carved wall-plate, unceiled. The south transept is ceiled. The north transept
has unceiled wagon roof of C15, with moulded collar purlin and chamfered wall-plate.
Tall 2-centred tower arch with 2 convex-mouldings and triple shafts to sides in
darker stone and ring-moulded capitals and bases. 6-bay C15 south arcade, with
Pevnser A-type piers, the capitals carved with primitive leaves, 3-centred arches and
wave and hollow mouldings. The chancel has an aumbry to south. The south transept
has 4-centred arch with wave and hollow mouldings, Pevsner A-type piers with carved
capitals as in the south arcade. To south, in the transept, there is a tomb recess
below the window, with cambered arch with roll-mouldings.
Fittings: C13 stone font in north transept, with cylindrical bowl with star carving,
central stem and four outer shafts with ring-moulded capitals and bases. Wooden
pulpit in nave, incorporating panels from C15 bench ends showing the instruments of
the Passion, including a shroud. Plain C19 pews in nave and aisle and low C19 screen
across the east end. The south wall of the nave has Royal Arms of George IV, dated
1820, oil on board in moulded frame, signed John Blee, painter, Truro. In the nave,
two C19 painted boards with 2-centerd arches, with the Ten Commandments. Monuments
in nave: warble tablet on slate ground, to Joseph Hosken, 1780; granite ledger to
Revd. Michael Prust, 1808. In south aisle: a fragment of an C18 slate with verses
and carved border. In chancel: Gothic style marble monument on slate ground, to
James Hosken, 1839, by Pearce of Truro; slate monument with later stone border and
pedimental top, with urn, flowers and pilasters, with latin inscription, to Arthur
Lawrence, 1669; marble monument with sarcophagus, on slate ground, by Pearce of
Truro, to Joseph Hosken, 1833; paired marble tablets on slate ground with pedimental
top, to Jean Anderson,, 1821 and Joseph Hosken, 1823; marble monument with pilasters
and draped urn, with apron, on slate ground, by Isbell of Truro, to John Hosken,
1810; marble tablet with dove on slate ground, to Jean Hosken, 1859; a group of
marble monuments on slate ground, to Richard and Frances Hosken, 1872 and 1858, to
Jean Logan, 1838, Alicia Findlay, 1907 and Constantia Hosken, 1916. Late C19 stained
glass in chancel and south aisle.
Source: Pevsner, N.: Buildings of England: Cornwall 1970.
Listing NGR: SW7861157757
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings