This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 50.2133 / 50°12'47"N
Longitude: -5.1183 / 5°7'5"W
OS Eastings: 177623
OS Northings: 39465
OS Grid: SW776394
Mapcode National: GBR ZB.1NPC
Mapcode Global: FRA 085G.FTG
Entry Name: Perranwell Station Methodist Church Including Boundary Walls
Listing Date: 12 March 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1141599
English Heritage Legacy ID: 63626
Location: Perranarworthal, Cornwall, TR3
Civil Parish: Perranarworthal
Built-Up Area: Perranwell
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: Stithians
Church of England Diocese: Truro
SW 73 NE PERRANARWORTHAL PERRANWELL STATION
3/360 Perranwell Station Methodist Church
including boundary walls
Methodist chapel and boundary walls. 1878. By flicks of Redruth. Killas rubble,
dressed elvan, granite and Bath stone; walling brought to course at entrance front.
Steep Delabole dry slate roofs with gable ends; vestry roof at lower pitch with brick
chimney at rear (south east) gable end.
Large rectangular aisless plan with stair and entrance hall at north west end,
flanked by stair turrets, which project slightly from side walls; chapel, over
schoolroom, with gallery to 3 sides and organ bay over vestry at south east end.
Symmetrical north west 3-bay entrance gable over plinth, with bays divided by
buttresses surmounted by spirelets, those flanking central bay square and weathered
and octagonal ones to corners. Central shouldered doorway with original doors
resited to inner face of wall, blind traceried tympanum over; all within pointed
arched gabled outer porch doorway with fluted square jambs with moulded capitals
surmounted by pinnacles. Flanking single-light trefoil-headed windows and 4
shouldered arched windows above porch and 3 tall pointed arched windows rising into
gable over; central window taller and wider with 3 lights instead of 1, moulded pier
and impost capitals; hoodmoulds and relieving arches over, and gable ventilator.
Left and right-hand stair well bays: each bay has blind arch over plinth framing
inscription; tall 2-light pointed mid floor stair window with double transom,
roundel, hoodmould and relieving arch; blind trefoil-headed arcade band over. Side
walls are identical except for organ and vestry bay which is lit to south west stair
turret side and blind to opposite side. Each side wall has stair projection at north
west side and 4 bays of 2-light windows, square-headed to basement and with double
transoms, pointed arches and roundels to first floor. Each stair turret has
chamfered doorway with original door within outer pointed arch framing blind tympanum
with roundel. Hoodmould to doorway and lancet over. Windows have original leaded
glass to entrance front and stairs, otherwise iron casements.
Interior is virtually as built except for alteration for insertion of central stair
within entrance, circa 1904 to designs by Mr Collins, an architect of Redruth and
carried out by Mr W.H. Moyle. The Gallery, semi-circular on plan at the north west
end, with panelled front, is carried on cast iron columns. The organ, fitted circa
1900 is within a room behind the rostrum linked to the main building by a pointed
moulded chancel arch with hoodmould, and inner order carried on short columns. The
main T-stair (1904) has turned balusters also survive, 2 flights flanking main stair,
and one flight for access to vestry. The roof structure is a dominant feature, mock
hammer beam with square section iron ties and crown hangers with mouldings to obscure
joints. Rostrum with lecturn over blind arcade with turned balustrades to either side
terminating in pedestals surmounted by candelabra, flanked by 2 flights of steps, and
with communion rail balustrade to front. Pews are pitch pine with panelled backs,
shaped ends and intermediate ramped armrests.
Granite coped rubble walling to entrance, main gate-piers with moulded caps. Iron
Walter Visick Asst. Sec of Visick's Foundry, nearby, was one of the original trustees
(1878) and it is very likely that the ironwork of the chapel was manufactured there.
Historical information from the centenary booklet PERRANWELL METHODIST CHURCH, a
useful source, and including a list of the original trustees.
This building was constructed in 1878 for a relatively small community, and as such
is remarkably ambitious in design and scale. It is virtually complete despite small
fires in 1922 and 1976 which threatened to destroy it, but fortunately extinguished
Listing NGR: SW7762339465
Other nearby listed buildings