This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 50.2045 / 50°12'16"N
Longitude: -5.1177 / 5°7'3"W
OS Eastings: 177624
OS Northings: 38481
OS Grid: SW776384
Mapcode National: GBR ZB.28TG
Mapcode Global: FRA 085H.22X
Entry Name: Smiths Shop
Listing Date: 30 May 1967
Last Amended: 12 March 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1141604
English Heritage Legacy ID: 63532
Location: Mylor, Cornwall, TR3
Civil Parish: Mylor
Built-Up Area: Perranwell
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: Mylor
Church of England Diocese: Truro
SW 73 NE MYLOR PERRAN WHARF
3/254 Smiths shop,( formerly part of group
30.5.67 listed as Perran Foundry)
Smiths shop, ruin. Circa early C19. Shale rubble walling with granite quoins,
jambstones and lintels.
Plan was originally of a large rectangular building adjoining Loam shop and Moulding
Shop, at west (since removed and Green Sand Shop, qv.), to south. Outer walling only
still standing with complete section along north side. Originally containing a water
powered hammer mill and further water wheel beside south wall. (Much evidence of
former use can still be seen in surviving walling).
2 storeys. North wall has 2 original doorways and original vertical glazed window
over right-hand doorway. On the inside of the wall are stone piers at each bay.
Part of the Perran Iron Foundry, founded in 1791, and in its heyday the most
important foundry in Cornwall, manufacturing some of the largest beam engines ever
Plan of Perran Foundry, circa 1860 (CRO).
Listing NGR: SW7762438481
Other nearby listed buildings