History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Dry Sand Shop and Green Sand Shop

A Grade II* Listed Building in Perranwell, Cornwall

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.204 / 50°12'14"N

Longitude: -5.1177 / 5°7'3"W

OS Eastings: 177616

OS Northings: 38429

OS Grid: SW776384

Mapcode National: GBR ZB.28TM

Mapcode Global: FRA 085H.220

Entry Name: Dry Sand Shop and Green Sand Shop

Listing Date: 30 May 1967

Last Amended: 12 March 1986

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1141603

English Heritage Legacy ID: 63531

Location: Mylor, Cornwall, TR3

County: Cornwall

Civil Parish: Mylor

Built-Up Area: Perranwell

Traditional County: Cornwall

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall

Church of England Parish: Mylor

Church of England Diocese: Truro

Find accommodation in
Perranwell

Listing Text



SW 73 NE MYLOR PERRAN WHARF

3/253 Dry Sand shop and Green
Sand shop (formerly part
30.5.67 of group listed as Perran
Foundry)

GV II


------------------------------------


SW 73 NE MYLOR PERRAN WHARF

3/253 Dry Sand shop and Green Sand shop
(formerly part of group listed as
30.5.67 Perran Poundry)

GV II


Mould and casting buildings, now store. Circa early-mid C19. Painted shale rubble
walls, brick arches. 3 roofs with gable ends or adjoining; grouted scantle slate
over main block (Dry Sand shop) with upper half of west gable weather boarded; clay
pantiles over Green Sand shop, adjoining at east; and corrugated asbestos over stove
extension at west.
Plan of 3 roughly rectangular adjoining buildings. Main building (Dry Sand Shop)
with spaces for furnaces (stoves) at east and west plus 2 later stacks each with 2
flues to north side. Single storey Sand Shop at east is narrower, and 2 storey stove
extension at west, much narrower, and adjoins south side of gable of main building.
There was originally a water wheel at south side of Dry Sand Shop.
2 storeys. Dry Sand Shop has large round-headed arches to north and west walls,
originally furnace entrances, except for central west doorway. Other arches are
partly or wholly blocked or hidden by later building. West gable end has 2 first
floor openings probably originally with windows. First floor of Stove has 4 of the
original 7 openings spanned by granite lintels. Original ground floor openings
blocked.
Interior has original king post roof structures and much evidence of former use.
Part of the Perran Iron Foundry, founded in 1791, and in its heyday the most
important foundry in Cornwall, manufacturing some of the largest beam engines ever
constructed.
Plan of Perran Foundry, circa 1860 (CRC).
This is the main furnace building which in the C19 must have been both hot and
dangerous. Now, with some of the 'stove' projections removed and with its brick
arches standing alone, it is still quite impressive and surprisingly intact.


Listing NGR: SW7761638429

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.