This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.2042 / 50°12'15"N
Longitude: -5.1181 / 5°7'5"W
OS Eastings: 177594
OS Northings: 38449
OS Grid: SW775384
Mapcode National: GBR ZB.28Q8
Mapcode Global: FRA 085H.1X8
Entry Name: Offices
Listing Date: 30 May 1967
Last Amended: 12 March 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1141602
English Heritage Legacy ID: 63530
Location: Mylor, Cornwall, TR3
Civil Parish: Mylor
Built-Up Area: Perranwell
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: Mylor
Church of England Diocese: Truro
SW 73 NE MYLOR PERRAN WHARF
3/252 Offices (formerly part of
group listed as Perran
SM 73 NE MYLOR PERRAN WHARF
3/252 Offices, (formerly part of group
30.5.67 listed as Perran Foundry)
Offices, now used as store. Circa early-mid C19. Painted shale rubble with dressed
granite quoins, sills and lintels. C20 low pitched roof (hidden).
Rectangular-on-plan. Originally divided into small rooms for offices with full width
narrow reception room at front (north) and 3 equal rooms to rear with passage between
rear left and middle rooms.
2 storeys originally. Symmetrical north and west fronts. North front has wide
central doorway (widened circa mid-late C19) with elliptical arched cast iron beam
inserted. Beam has inscription in relief of PERRAN FOUNDRY with the Cornish shield
as keystone, between, with date 1791 over. Flanking ground and first floor windows
are blocked. West, 3-window front has C20 windows to ground floor opening and
blocked window over.
Part of the Perran Iron Foundry, founded in1791, and in its heyday the most important
foundry in Cornwall, manufacturing some of the largest beam engines ever constructed.
Plan of Perran Foundry circa 1860 (CRO).
This building near the middle of the complex was presumably the administrative hub
of the system and although re-roofed in the C20 retains many original openings, and
the splendid iron beam which still advertises the quality and scale of work formerly
carried out here.
Listing NGR: SW7759438449
Other nearby listed buildings