History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Rectory and Adjoining Garden Walls

A Grade II Listed Building in Kilkhampton, Cornwall

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.8706 / 50°52'13"N

Longitude: -4.4846 / 4°29'4"W

OS Eastings: 225271

OS Northings: 110835

OS Grid: SS252108

Mapcode National: GBR K4.TKQD

Mapcode Global: FRA 16HS.W4C

Entry Name: Rectory and Adjoining Garden Walls

Listing Date: 9 September 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1141824

English Heritage Legacy ID: 64818

Location: Kilkhampton, Cornwall, EX23

County: Cornwall

Civil Parish: Kilkhampton

Built-Up Area: Kilkhampton

Traditional County: Cornwall

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall

Church of England Parish: Kilkhampton

Church of England Diocese: Truro

Find accommodation in
Kilkhampton

Listing Text

SS 21 SE KILKHAMPTON

4/9 Rectory & adjoining Garden
- Walls, Kilkhampton

GV II

House, formerly rectory. Mid C19. 2 builds. C17 rear outshuts. C19 build
possibly by Sir Gilbert Scott. Whitewashed, roughcast range with hipped slate
roof and brick chimneys, rear outshuts slatestone rubble with slate catslide roofs.
Right-hand end has central stair hall plan, kitchen in rear right outshut and 2-
storey, 3-bay symmetrical front with an open pediment to the central bay. Porch
with cornice carried on octagonal timber pillars, double front door with 3 flush
panels to each leaf under fanlight. Ground floor windows pairs of 8-pane timber
sashes under smooth rendered segmentally-headed architraves. First floor windows
similar timber sashes. Later addition of one bay at left end has similar sashes,
rectangular architrave to ground floor window. Overhanging eaves with modillion
cornice. Entrance into hall and through arch into stair hall. Geometrical stair
with stick balusters and wreathed handrail. Stairwell ceiling has rudimentary
plaster groin vault. Ground floor rooms of right-hand range have shutters, ground
floor room right has tall round-arched recess on right wall supported on fluted
engaged columns. 6-panel doors to 3 front first floor rooms, door with 8 fielded
panels to rear right bedroom. Servants' stair to rear. Rear right outshut
contains massive stack and granite, 4-centred, moulded arched fireplace lintel with
mouldings in the spandrels. Rear left outshut, used as store, has partition wall
of stud with brick nogging. Garden walls of cob on stone with slate coping project
south-east from south-east corner of C18 range, and north from rear right outshut,
that to the north contains a round-headed polyphant archway and doorframe said to
have originated at Stowe, built 1679. The parsonage at Kilkhampton is attributed
to Scott in The Builder, c.1858 and roughly contemporary with Scott's restoration of
the Church (q.v.), David Cole, The Work of Sir Gilbert Scott (1980).


Listing NGR: SS2527110835

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.