This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 50.1354 / 50°8'7"N
Longitude: -5.2094 / 5°12'33"W
OS Eastings: 170746
OS Northings: 31079
OS Grid: SW707310
Mapcode National: GBR Z4.XNNX
Mapcode Global: VH12Y.NVBL
Entry Name: Seworgan Farmhouse Including Garden Wall Immediately to South
Listing Date: 17 June 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1142116
English Heritage Legacy ID: 66095
Location: Constantine, Cornwall, TR11
Civil Parish: Constantine
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: Constantine
Church of England Diocese: Truro
SW 73 SW CONSTANTINE SEWORGAN
5/111 Seworgan Farmhouse No 1 including
- garden wall immediately to south
Farmhouse. Probably late C18, extended and refashioned in circa mid C19. Limewashed
granite rubble with dressed granite lintels and quoins. Slurried scantle slate roof
with gable end to right and half-hipped end to left ; high crested ornate ridge
tiles. Right-hand gable end stack and axial stack to left of centre, both with short
red brick shafts ; kitchen stack with red brick shaft on rear slope of roof.
Plan: The original house of double depth plan with 2 principal front rooms with an
entrance hall between containing the staircase at the back. There are 2 shallow
service rooms at the back, the kitchen to the left and a dairy to the right. In
circa mid C19 a 1-room plan extension was added at the left end and a single storey
outshut was built at the right end.
Exterior: 2 storeys. 1:2 window range. The 2 window part to the right is the
original house with a doorway slightly to the right of centre with a mid C19
panelled door and a small rectangular overlight. All the windows at the front are
C19 16-pane sashes with horns and granite lintels and cills, the left hand windows
have slate cills. To the right a higher parapet with brick battlements screens the
outshut at this end.
Rear elevation : All C19 sashes, a large round-headed stair window to left of
centre, a panelled door with an overlight at the centre and a C19 2-light casement to
the left. Single storey outshut at the left-hand end.
Including low granite rubble garden area wall in front of the house, with granite
gate-piers and an ornate iron gate.
Interior not inspected but is said to have been little altered and there is
apparantly a cooking range dated 1866. There is a plank partition on th left-hand
side of the entrance hall.
Seworgan was in the manor of Tucoys. The holding was divided into three in 1842
which may be the date of the remodelling of the house.
Source: Charles Henderson, A History of the Parish of Constantine in Cornwall, pp.
160 and 161.
Listing NGR: SW7074631079
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings