This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.1303 / 50°7'49"N
Longitude: -5.2063 / 5°12'22"W
OS Eastings: 170942
OS Northings: 30505
OS Grid: SW709305
Mapcode National: GBR Z4.XX21
Mapcode Global: VH12Y.PZZH
Entry Name: Trebarvah Farmhouse Including Adjoining Stables to South East
Listing Date: 17 June 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1158968
English Heritage Legacy ID: 66035
Location: Constantine, Cornwall, TR11
Civil Parish: Constantine
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: Constantine
Church of England Diocese: Truro
SW 73 SW CONSTANTINE
5/50 Trebarvah Farmhouse including
- adjoining stables to south east
Farmhouse and adjoining stables. Dated 1652, remodelled and extended in early to mid
C19 and with later C19 stable extensions. Painted granite rubble. Slurried scantle
slate roof with gabled ends. Rendered axial stack to left of centre and gable end
stack to right, both with granite caps; red brick shaft to stack in rear outshut.
Plan: The existing house has a 3-room plan with an outshut behind the right and
centre and a single storey stable at the left end. The 2 right hand rooms are the
original mid C17 house, the left hand room the hall/kitchen with a large gable end
stack (now axial), the right hand room may have been unheated originally but now has
a gable end stack. The straight flight staircase between the 2 rooms is probably an
early to mid C19 insertion in the cross or through passage and probably
contemporaneous with the addition of the unheated third room to the left and the
single storey outshut behind the right and centre of the original house. The single
storey, stable of the left end is a later C19 addition.
An alternative interpretation of the development of the plan is that the original
house had a 3-room and cross or through passage plan, the lower left room and passage
demolished and rebuilt in the early to mid C19 as an unheated room without a passage
and the stair inserted between the hall and the inner right hand room.
Exterior: 2 storeys. Nearly symmetrical 3-window range except for the doorway to
right of centre. Widely spaced small window openings with slate cills. First floor
has late C19 9-pane sash to right, late C19 4-pane sash to centre and C20 window to
left. Ground floor has C19 4-pane sash on either side of the doorway and a C20
casement to left. The doorway to right of centre has a C19 or earlier stone rubble
open-fronted porch with a slurried slate lean-to roof and a C19 panelled inner door,
the top panels with triangular heads. A very large granite trough adjoins to right
of the front of the house.
Adjoining to left with a lower gable-ended roof, the single storey stables with a
divided plank door to the left; a fixed 6-light window in the gable end of the
Rear elevation: Late C19 first floor 9-pane sash to the right and a C19 casement
below. The lean-to outshut to the left has a plank door and small fixed-light window
with 4 panes, and a large brick stack rising from the roof to the left.
Interior: A large granite fireplace in the hall/kitchen with chamfered jambs and
lintel. The lintel has a recessed panel carved with initials and date "W.G. over E
1652". In the right hand corner of the fireplace an oven, blocked and removed when
the left hand room was built. C19 bead-moulded ceiling joists in the ground floor
rooms. C19 straight stair flanked by boarded partitions. Rear outshut has a boiling
copper at the base of the stack.
Roof: The first floor rooms are ceiled and the roof space is inaccessible.
Trebarvah was a holding of 56 acres and part of the Manor of Tucoys, the only manor
in Constantine mentioned in the Domesday Book.
In 1590 John Code held Trebavah as a free tenant of the manor of Tucoys. In 1842 it
belonged to Cuthbert and William Tremayne.
Source: Charles Henderson. A History of the Parish of Constantine in Cornwall. page
Listing NGR: SW7094230505
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings