This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.1129 / 50°6'46"N
Longitude: -5.3654 / 5°21'55"W
OS Eastings: 159493
OS Northings: 29067
OS Grid: SW594290
Mapcode National: GBR FX4D.14H
Mapcode Global: VH131.YFDB
Entry Name: Engine House and Attached Boiler House at Sw594290 Wheal Grey
Listing Date: 26 August 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1142203
English Heritage Legacy ID: 65912
Location: Germoe, Cornwall, TR13
Civil Parish: Germoe
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: St Germoe
Church of England Diocese: Truro
SW 52 NE GERMOE TRESOWES GREEN
6/233 Engine house and attached boiler
house at SW594290 Wheal Grey
Disused engine house and attached boiler house and other adjoining structures. Circa 1897. Granite rubble with dressed granite quoins and jambstones, brick arches.
Plan: rectangular engine house with bob wall and shaft at north; adjoining lean-to boiler house along east side and extending to the south; wall parallel to boiler house wall extending in front of the left hand side of the south wall of the engine house: small square plan building south of this and attached to the north end of the boiler house by a screen wall is a pair of buttressed parallel whim bearing walls, at right angles to the shaft. Within the boiler house are 2 long masonry lined trenches and within the building south of the engine house are several bearing walls with iron bolts for former machinery. In front of the 'plug' doorway of the engine house are 2 bearing walls at right angles to the shaft. Machinery, floors and roofs removed. 3 storeys over basement pit. Round-headed openings.
Engine house: opening to each floor of the south gable and 2 openings in the bob wall (now one opening as the lintel and masonry between has fallen). Ground floor opening to each side (wing) wall. The east wall opening is a doorway with another small opening above and to the left. There is a large complete cross beam in situ.
Boiler house: round arched 'lunette' opening at the south end; doorway with window over at the north end. Blocked doorway in west wall. Built for a 36-inch cylinder beam pumping engine which had been converted from a rotative engine. Originally built by the Charlestown Foundry for Polgooth mine in the 1840s later used as a stamps engine. Finally scrapped in 1935.
This engine house and its associated structures is one of the most complete examples in Cornwall. The surviving bearing walls for the former complex arrangement of whim and other machinery are particularly interesting.
Sources : Kenneth Brown, Council member of the Trevithick Society.
Listing NGR: SW5949329067
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings