This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.1051 / 50°6'18"N
Longitude: -5.3357 / 5°20'8"W
OS Eastings: 161577
OS Northings: 28111
OS Grid: SW615281
Mapcode National: GBR FX6D.NRF
Mapcode Global: VH132.GMM8
Plus Code: 9C2P4M47+3P
Entry Name: Breage Methodist Church Including Courtyard Walls and Gate Piers
Listing Date: 26 August 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1142237
English Heritage Legacy ID: 65795
Location: Breage, Cornwall, TR13
Civil Parish: Breage
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: Breage with Godolphin and Ashton
Church of England Diocese: Truro
SW 62 NW BREAGE TREWITHICK ROAD (formerly
School Road), Breage
7/90 Breage Methodist Church including
courtyard walls and gate piers
Methodist chapel. Circa 1833. Painted rubble with dressed granite quoins, sills,
jambstones and lintels; painted round-headed brick arches to 1st floor openings.
Hipped asbestos slate roof.
Rectangular aiseless plan with organ chamber in later projection at the middle of
rear. Gallery on 4 sides. Stable adjoining the rear right hand side.
Two storey elevations. The south-east (ritual west) front has central flat headed
doorway with original pair of flush-beaded 6-panel doors. The 2 first floor
(gallery) windows are round-head fixed lights with intersecting glazing bars to the
window heads. Each side wall has 2 ground floor flat-headed windows and 2 round-
headed 1st floor windows, 16-pane sashes to the ground floor and sashes with
interesting glazing bars to the 1st floors. Some of the windows are original with
crown glass, others are copies.
Interior has its complete original gallery fitted with box pews. The gallery is
carried on wooden Tuscan columns, originally marbled, (Christopher Stell) and the
front of the gallery is panelled, the panelling ramped up from the ritual east end.
The flat plaster ceiling has a fine central concentric circle rose with central
pendant. Fluted Corinthian pilasters flanking the organ chamber are probably late
Cl9 as, is the large bow fronted pulpit with blind arcading. At each side of the
pulpit is a winder stair with turned newels and splat balusters.
At the front of the chapel is a low granite ashlar wall with 3 entrances, each
entrance with round-headed granite monolith gate piers. The original iron railings
are replaced with pierced concrete blocks.
This is an exceptionally fine chapel with a complete gallery, the whole building
little altered since the C19.
Source: C Stell, draft of RCHM inventory of Non-Conformist Chapels.
Listing NGR: SW6157728111
Other nearby listed buildings