History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Donald Thomas Centre, with Forecourt Railings

A Grade II* Listed Building in Camborne, Cornwall

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.2136 / 50°12'48"N

Longitude: -5.2995 / 5°17'58"W

OS Eastings: 164693

OS Northings: 40052

OS Grid: SW646400

Mapcode National: GBR FX93.THJ

Mapcode Global: VH12J.3W6N

Entry Name: The Donald Thomas Centre, with Forecourt Railings

Listing Date: 1 December 1951

Last Amended: 12 September 1989

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1142652

English Heritage Legacy ID: 66573

Location: Camborne, Cornwall, TR14

County: Cornwall

Civil Parish: Camborne

Built-Up Area: Camborne

Traditional County: Cornwall

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall

Church of England Parish: Camborne and Tuckinghill

Church of England Diocese: Truro

Find accommodation in
Camborne

Listing Text

CAMBORNE CHAPEL STREET
SW 64 SW
(west side)
10/28
The Donald Thomas Centre, with
1.12.51 forecourt railings (formerly listed
as The Literary Institute)

GV II*

Literary Institute, now social centre. 1842, enlarged 1852; altered. Granite
ashlar, slate roof. T-plan formed by hall at right-angles to the street
flanked by small wings; plus later extensions to the rear. Greek Revival
style. All single storey, but the hall much taller, presenting a giant Doric
portico, distyle in antis, with triglyph frieze and mutule pediment,
protecting a central doorway with simple pedimented surround and 2 round-
headed windows with moulded architraves and keystones, and glazing with
coloured margin panes. The wings, at right-angles to the hall, each have
clasping corner pilasters, a sashed window with sill-band and shouldered
architrave (4- and 12-paned respectively), and entablature with simplified
triglyphs and guttae; their gable walls are pedimented, with a triglyph
frieze. Forecourt enclosed by simple spear railings with wrought-iron gates.
To the rear of the right-hand (north) wing is a former lecture hall, added
in 1852, which is stuccoed, with vermiculated quoins and surrounds to
openings, a tripartite window to the 1st portion, and a round-headed
doorway with a shallow porch, flanked by tall round-headed windows on a
high level. Interior altered. History: Camborne Literary Institute founded
in 1829, this building erected on site given by Richard Vivyan and formerly
occupied by 1st Methodist chapel in Camborne.


Listing NGR: SW6469340052

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.