This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.2129 / 50°12'46"N
Longitude: -5.2994 / 5°17'57"W
OS Eastings: 164699
OS Northings: 39979
OS Grid: SW646399
Mapcode National: GBR FX93.TLD
Mapcode Global: VH12J.3X84
Entry Name: Wesley Memorial Institute
Listing Date: 14 April 1999
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1386514
English Heritage Legacy ID: 473903
Location: Camborne, Cornwall, TR14
Civil Parish: Camborne
Built-Up Area: Camborne
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: Camborne and Tuckinghill
Church of England Diocese: Truro
SW 63 NW
Wesley Memorial Institute GV II
Wesleyan Institute. 1887 datestone. Granite ashlar front, stucco with stucco detail to right-hand return; dry Delabole slate roofs with red crested clay ridge tiles; rendered end stacks with entablature; cast-iron ogee gutter over widely-spaced modillions to fascia board. Plan presumed to be large room at the front with entrance hall leading to stair hall on the right. 2 storeys; regular S-window range with segmental arches to 1st floor and round arches to ground floor; original 4-pane horned sashes. Doorway to right has 2-pane fanlight over panelled door. Front detail includes: plinth; impost string; keyblocks, and mid-floor entablature with fascia inscription: SMITH WESLEYAN MEMORIAL INSTITUTE 1887. 2:1-window right-hand return has quoin strips and architectural detail similar to the front but in stucco, the 1st 2 bays under a gable as pediment, the right-hand bay (side wall of rear wing) with mid-floor stair window with impost string. INTERIOR: Not. inspected. This unique Methodist Institute has good group value with the Wesleyan chapel, now Camborne Methodist Church (qv). This building is important as part of its later nineteenth century development and included also for its historical interest as a Methodist educational facility for adults after the 1870 Education Act and as a memorial to the eminent Methodist educationalist George Smith.
Listing NGR: SW6469939979
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings