This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.1388 / 50°8'19"N
Longitude: -5.1331 / 5°7'59"W
OS Eastings: 176218
OS Northings: 31228
OS Grid: SW762312
Mapcode National: GBR Z8.WBT5
Mapcode Global: FRA 084N.81K
Entry Name: Trewoon Manor House
Listing Date: 24 November 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1142695
English Heritage Legacy ID: 66474
Location: Budock, Cornwall, TR11
Civil Parish: Budock
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: Budock
Church of England Diocese: Truro
SW 73 SE BUDOCK TREWOON
3/57 Trewoon Manor House
Roofless ruin of manor house. C16, extended 1634 (datestone) for Henry and Gertrude
Carnsew. Remodelled slightly in the C18. Granite rubble with granite dressings.
Half-hipped front to parlour cross wing, hipped end on the left, gable end between
hall and parlour.
Plan: Irregular L-shaped plan. C16 hall range on left, former through passage on
its right, the large hall has a large external lateral stack at the front. Left of
the hall is a possible former inner room with probably resited C16 or C17 doorway at
the front. Cross parlour wing on the right, projecting slightly at the front and
deeper at the rear. The parlour wing may be truncated at the rear. There is a
probable reset datestone (1634) in the rear wall. C18 floors and roof structures
falling in and decayed at the time of survey (October 1987).
Exterior: 2 storeys. North-north-east front. Long, low hall range front on the
left, parlour front built forward slightly on the right. Hall range has probably C16
4-centred arched chamfered doorway with pyramid stops, towards the left, later
(probably C18) doorway roughly midway with straight joint (probably for former hall
window) on its left; large external lateral chimney breast towards the right and a
probably C17 chamfered doorway with segmental head, on the right. First floor window
opening towards left and blocked opening left of the chimney breast are probably C18
insertions. 2 window openings cut into the chimney breast are probably C19. Parlour
front has central C17 moulded 4-light window to each floor. Square hoodmould over
each window. Mullions have been removed. The openings in the relatively thin rear
wall of the hall range appear to be C18. The left-hand wall of the rear projection
of the parlour wing has a ground floor doorway near the angle and a loading doorway
above and slightly to the left. The ground floor doorway has double chamfered
jambstones probably insitu and a reused moulded and stopped probable jambstone as
lintel over. There are some openings in the right-hand wall of the parlour wing but
these were not sufficiently accessible at the time of the survey to give an accurate
Interior: C18 floor and roof structure were collapsing at the time of the survey
making access difficult. Principal features seen are: large hall fireplace (partly
fallen) with hardwood lintel and domed oven behind each jamb (probably partly rebuilt
in the C18); C17 chamfered granite fireplace to the chamber over the hall served by
flue in cross wall between hall and parlour ranges; a moulded granite cornice high up
in the same wall; a similar C17 fireplace in the chamber over the parlour (backing
onto the same wall) and an ovolo moulded hardwood lintel over the parlour window.
There is a chamfered granite fireplace in the rear left-hand corner of the parlour,
the far jambstones of which are visible on the outside. The walls have traces of
Trewoon was inspected and researched by Charles C. Henderson in the 1930s and his
notes can be seen in "Antiquities, Volume IV", at the RIC Library, Truro.
Source: Research notes supplied by Jane Pollard.
Listing NGR: SW7620331234
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings