This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.4539 / 50°27'14"N
Longitude: -4.659 / 4°39'32"W
OS Eastings: 211341
OS Northings: 64944
OS Grid: SX113649
Mapcode National: GBR N5.NP38
Mapcode Global: FRA 174V.DRY
Plus Code: 9C2QF83R+HC
Entry Name: Glynn House
Listing Date: 15 June 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1143108
English Heritage Legacy ID: 67498
Location: Cardinham, Cornwall, PL30
Civil Parish: Cardinham
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: Cardynham
Church of England Diocese: Truro
SX 16 NW
10/9 Glynn House
House, now the Glynn Research Institute. Probably mid-late C18, on the foundation of
an earlier house ; rebuilt and refronted for Edmund John Glynn, High Sheriff of
Cornwall in 1805 ; damaged by fire in 1819, with alterations and addition of circa
1833 for Sir Richard Hussey Vivian. C20 alterations. Stone rubble, faced to south
and west in ashlar with granite dressings. Slate roof with gable ends and axial
stacks with rendered shafts.
Plan: The main house is arranged in an L-plan, with principal rooms along the south
(entrance) and west (garden) fronts. Service rooms are to north and east, and there
is a double depth arrangement to south and west, including a stair hall in the inner
west range. Along the south front, the C19 arrangement of rooms was from the left:
large drawing room, library, entrance hall (to centre) study and smoking room. Along
the west front from the left a suite of three interconnecting rooms, the dining room,
small drawing room, and the large drawing room, which is the front left corner room.
To rear left was a conservatory and an ornamental temple/dairy. The list of service
rooms included a butler's pantry, lamp room, boot hall, billiard room (now
demolished), a bachelor's bathroom, game larders, pastry room, gun room, still room,
kitchen and scullery.
Exterior: Entrance front to south of 2 storeys, a symmetrical front on moulded
plinth, with deep eaves with stone brackets which were probably an alteration of the
1830s ; central bay slightly broken forward with 1830s portico ; 2 bays to right and
left with pavilion at each end with pediment, also slightly broken forward. At first
floor all windows are 9-pane sashes, ground floor windows are 12-pane sashes with
thin glazing bars and stone voussoirs. The portico has 4 Doric columns, with shallow
pediment, inner double half-glazed doors and fanlight with radial glazing bars. Band
course across the central 5 bays, with rusticated quoins to the central bay. The
outer pavilions have at ground floor a 12-pane sash with sidelights, with slender
Doric columns and recessed stone arch over with attached central urn ; the window in
the pavilion to left is a dummy. At first floor a 12-pane sash and a raised blind
oval in the tyrmpanum of the pediment. To left of the portico is a cellar window.
The garden front to west is of 2 storeys and 9 bays, the 3 central bays broken
forward with a pediment ; the stone ashlar facing is not the same as the entrance
front ; moulded plinth and similar bracketed eaves. Ground floor windows are all 15-
pane sashes with stone voussoirs and granite keystones. The three centre bays have 4
attached granite Doric columns, possibly added after the fire damage of 1819 :
supporting entablature and pediment with raised oval. Central ground floor window
lengthened as a French window. Attached to left, the remains of the conservatory,
with 4 bays divided by square granite piers. To end left, the octagonal temple, on a
plinth, with engaged Doric columns at the angles, cornice and panelled blocking
course with acroterial ornaments ; no windows or roof remain.
At the right side, the end of the main range is blind ; the return of this range has
pediment and 12-pane sash at first floor overlooking the service courtyard. The
entrance to the courtyard has a pair of square granite ashlar piers with plain flat
caps. 2 storey range to right with 3 plate-glass sashes at first floor and half-
glazed door with hood and two 9-pane sashes at ground floor. Straight joint to a
block to end right, which may be of mid C18 ; this has a hipped roof, with axial
stack ; 12-pane sash at ground floor and 12-pane sash at first floor with thick
glazing bars. Granite quoins and at the rear, 2 C20 doors and 12-pane sash at ground
floor, three 9-pane sashes at first floor. At the rear, the end of the west range is
blind with a pediment. Rear of service range has random fenestration, all sashes,
with bellcote and bell on roof. Over the stair hall is a cupola.
Interior: In the 1950s, the house suffered from extensive dry rot, and few internal
features remain. In the large drawing room there is a marble chimneypiece with Ionic
columns, and in the dining room a marble chimneypiece with fluted columns. Cornices
and shutters to windows are repaired. In the west range are four ceilings with
plasterwork ; these are copies of Sir Hussey Vivian's medals from the Peninsular War.
The stair hall retains the upper landing level of the staircase, with turned
balusters and moulded handrail. On the first floor there are plain marble
Sources: Pevsner, N.: Buildings of England: Cornwall 1970. Mitchell, Dr P.: A Short
History of Glynn 1986.
Listing NGR: SX1134164944
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings