This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.6823 / 50°40'56"N
Longitude: -4.6933 / 4°41'35"W
OS Eastings: 209831
OS Northings: 90423
OS Grid: SX098904
Mapcode National: GBR N4.669N
Mapcode Global: FRA 1718.RDB
Entry Name: Paradise
Listing Date: 20 July 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1143485
English Heritage Legacy ID: 68753
Location: Forrabury and Minster, Cornwall, PL35
Civil Parish: Forrabury and Minster
Built-Up Area: Boscastle
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: Forrabury
Church of England Diocese: Truro
FORRABURY AND PARADISE ROAD, Boscastle
SX 0990 MINSTER
House. 1820. Built for Richard Benoke. Slate stone rubble, render probably
replacing stucco on front elevation and slate hung on rear elevation. Slate roof
with hipped ends and overhanging eaves. Five diagonally set brick axial chimney
Double depth plan: central through passage with 2 main reception rooms on front and
2 smaller service rooms to rear; front and rear rooms heated by back-to-back
fireplaces. Stair on left hand side of passage. Cellar and single-storey
outbuildings on rear contained further service rooms including dairy and wash-house.
C20 extension on rear.
Two storeys and basement. Symmetrical three window front; original early C19 12-
pane hornless sashes with crown glass. Ground floor raised above basement with stone
steps leading up to central entrance; C19 open porch with unfluted columns and
moulded cornice and C19 part glazed 6-panel door. Flanked by canted bay windows with
hornless sashes. First floor with 3 12-pane hornless sashes.
Interior largely intact. Entrance hall has moulded plaster cornice with floral trail
and hall arch. Left hand room with chimney-piece removed and right hand room with
C19 marble chimney piece and early C19 reeded plaster cornice. Lower flight of early
C19 open-string stair remodelled in mid C20 when rail renewed. Doors, doorcases and
slate flag floors largely complete.
Paradise was erected for Richard Benoke in circa 1820. It was possibly built as the
manor house, subsequent to the demolition of the earlier house which probably stood
on the west side of Fore Street, to the north of the Napoleon Inn. Benoke was
shortly forced to sell and Paradise was purchased by Mr William Cole.
Paradise is a well preserved early C19 house. For houses with similar plans and
internal details see Orchard House and Targon, Gunpool Lane, Boscastle and Trafalgar
in Lesnewth parish.
Maclean, Sir J. Parochial and Family History of the Deanery of Trigg Minor in the
County of Cornwall. 1879.
Information from owner.
Listing NGR: SX0992890471
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings