This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.1907 / 50°11'26"N
Longitude: -5.4101 / 5°24'36"W
OS Eastings: 156688
OS Northings: 37864
OS Grid: SW566378
Mapcode National: GBR FX05.QN5
Mapcode Global: VH12N.5GRN
Plus Code: 9C2P5HRQ+7X
Entry Name: The Cornubia Tavern
Listing Date: 14 November 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1143678
English Heritage Legacy ID: 70180
Location: Hayle, Cornwall, TR27
Civil Parish: Hayle
Built-Up Area: Hayle
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: Phillack
Church of England Diocese: Truro
HAYLE FORE STREET (south side), Hayle
11/84 No 35, The Cornubia Tavern
Public house. Circa mid C19. Stuccoed walls. Hipped grouted scantle slate roof
with slightly projecting eaves. Brick chimney over the right-hand end and over the front wall towards the left.
Plan: Double depth plan with 3 principal rooms along the front. The entrance
hall is in the right-hand bay of the central 2 bays with a room on its left
and larger rooms at either end. There is presumably a stair hall and service rooms at the rear and a deep service wing at right angles behind the left-hand side. Classical style details.
Exterior: 2 storeys. Regular 6 window north street front with stucco plinth,
rusticated pilasters at either end to first floor sill string level with
panelled pilasters above and moulded hoods on carved consoles over the ground floor window. The doorway is under the front left first floor window with overlight with open distyle porch with square approximately Doric columns and brackets in he entablature. Original 12-pane hornless sashes to first floor
and possibly original sashes with marginal panes to ground floor openings.
Left-hand side wall has all its original hornless sashes.
Interior: not inspected.
This building featured frequently in the history of the Copperhouse area of
Hayle from about the middle of the C19. Many public meetings, offical dinners,
shareholders assemblies, and many public sales and auctions were held. The
great sale of Copperhouse Foundry took place there in February 1875. The hotel was named after the Hayle-built packet ship Cornubia. Information provided by Hayle Town Council.
Listing NGR: SW5668837863
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings