This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.1878 / 50°11'15"N
Longitude: -5.4208 / 5°25'14"W
OS Eastings: 155911
OS Northings: 37573
OS Grid: SW559375
Mapcode National: GBR DXZ5.ZQL
Mapcode Global: VH12N.0J2X
Plus Code: 9C2P5HQH+4M
Entry Name: Church of St Elwyn
Listing Date: 14 January 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1143688
English Heritage Legacy ID: 70209
Location: Hayle, Cornwall, TR27
Civil Parish: Hayle
Built-Up Area: Hayle
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: Hayle
Church of England Diocese: Truro
HAYLE HAYLE TERRACE (south side), Hayle
10/108 Church Of St Elwyn
Parish church for newly-formed Peel parish. 1886-1888 by John Sedding (his last
work). Roughly dressed granite brought to course and granite dressings. Dry
Delabole slate roofs. Coped gable end to main roof, polygonal-ended roof to chapel
(north east corner) and octagonal spire over tower. Cast-iron rain water heads dated
1887 and 1888.
Plan: Nave/chancel under one roof ; north tower ; shallow north and south aisles ;
Lady chapel over schoolroom north of chancel ; vestry and origin in pair of south
transepts and south porch. Predominantly Gothic style.
Exterior: Corner buttresses and buttressed bays, lancets or shouldered-headed
windows. Nave has large pointed-arched 3-light window openings (carried over
internal arcades between nave and aisles) blind except for centre lights of 4 of the
bays. Chancel east gable end has large pointed arch enclosing pair of stepped 3-
light windows with central rose window over. West gable end has 5-light traceried
window with buttressed central light and coloured glass. 3-stage tower is square
with buttressed corners up to machicolated parapet (at eaves level of nave) and
octagonal on plan above with octagonal stair turret at the north-west corner. Upper
stages divided by string. Top stage has 2-light windows to alternate sides and
embattled and machicolated parapet surmounted by octagonal spire.
Interior: Lofty nave and chancel separated from aisles by 6-bay arcades of round
arches carried on fat round piers : waggon roofs ; gallery to tower bay. Unaltered.
Fittings font in Norman style with corner shafts and round bowl with blind
Perpendicular style tracery ; organ ; panelled reredos ; original choir stalls and
Monuments: memorial west window to : Frank Harvey (1840-1926) ; Anne his wife 1844-
1932 and William Hosburgh M.A. 1835-1927.
Listing NGR: SW5591137573
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings