This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 50.2984 / 50°17'54"N
Longitude: -4.8996 / 4°53'58"W
OS Eastings: 193591
OS Northings: 48298
OS Grid: SW935482
Mapcode National: GBR ZR.369D
Mapcode Global: FRA 08M7.P0Y
Plus Code: 9C2Q74X2+95
Entry Name: Town Hall and Clock Tower
Listing Date: 7 January 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1144042
English Heritage Legacy ID: 71386
Location: Grampound with Creed, Cornwall, TR2
Civil Parish: Grampound with Creed
Built-Up Area: Grampound
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: Grampound with Creed
Church of England Diocese: Truro
GRAMPOUND FORE STREET (north side), Grampound
SW 9248-9348 WITH CREED
7/44 Town Hall and clock tower
Town hall with clock tower, now parish room. Probably early C18, with alterations of
C19 and C20 alterations, including the rebuilding of the clock tower in circa 1982.
Mixed slatestone rubble with granite quoins. Slate roof with ridge tiles and gable
ends. The clock tower over the left end is slate-hung with a lead cupola.
Plan: The town hall is a single rectangular room, on the ground floor with a chamber
above; left sides, and two doorways at the front. Formerly heated from a rear
lateral stack. The clock tower is over the left end.
Exterior: The front is a symmetrical 2-storey, with 2 windows; built on the slope of
the ground and sloping down to the left. The ground floor has a plank door to right
and left, with 2 granite steps to left; two central C20 windows, both 2-light
casements with toplights, all with timber lintels. The first floor has two C20 2-
light windows with toplights and small gables over. The right gable end has a small
2-light C20 window at ground floor, at first floor a larger C20 2-light casement with
toplights. The left end has the segmental stone arch remaining over a single blocked
window opening at ground floor. First floor has C20 single light to right and left.
There is a central stone plaque with nowy head recording the erection of the clock
tower in 1894, and a stone plaque below which is a 1914-18 war memorial. At the rear
there is a blocked window at upper level to right. Single storey porch lean-to to
left with C20 door.
Interior: The ground floor room has painted rubble walls. There is a doorway to
rear, leading into the lean-to, with plank door with strap hinges. This is said to
have been the town lock-up. There is a straight stair leading to the upper floor,
probably of C19. The first floor room has good plaster ceiling, with central
elliptical rosette and a continuous moulded cornice at the junction with the sloping
side, all of circa early C18. There is C19 dado panelling and a C19 chimneypiece on
the rear wall, with overmantel with fielded panel. The clock in the turret is by J.
Smith and Sons, Midland Steam Clock Works, Derby, 1894. In wall cases, there are 2
sets of carved and painted wooden arms: the Royal Arms, and the arms of Grampound,
with inscription: Mayr. P.W. 1724. The Town Hall holds a vital position in Fore
Street and is an important reminder of the borough past; Grampound returned two
members to Parliament until 1831.
Listing NGR: SW9359148298
This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 26 October 2017.
Other nearby listed buildings