This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.402 / 50°24'7"N
Longitude: -5.1104 / 5°6'37"W
OS Eastings: 179057
OS Northings: 60421
OS Grid: SW790604
Mapcode National: GBR Z9.NQQZ
Mapcode Global: FRA 075Z.QVK
Entry Name: The Hatch
Listing Date: 24 October 1951
Last Amended: 12 May 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1144155
English Heritage Legacy ID: 71055
Location: Crantock, Cornwall, TR8
Civil Parish: Crantock
Built-Up Area: Crantock
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: Crantock
Church of England Diocese: Truro
SW 76 SE
4/52 The Hatch (formerly listed as
24.10.51 The Hatch and Penlyn, The
House; formerly part of a larger house, the rest now separate, attached to right,
Penlyn (q.v.). Circa mid C17, with alterations of C19 and C20. Stone rubble and
cob, roughcast. Thatched roof with gable ends. Rear lateral stack to right and
axial stack with brick shaft to left.
Plan: The Hatch is the hall and inner room of a 3-room and cross passage house. The
hall is heated from a rear lateral stack, and the inner room, to left, is heated end;
formerly single storey and raised in height in C20. An entrance was made directly
into the room to left, when the house was divided. In mid C20, additions were made
to the rear, with a stair.
Exterior: 2 storeys, asymmetrical 2-window front. To right, a C20 thatched and
gabled porch with half-glazed stable door. Ground and first floor to right have a
C20 2-light casement. Ground floor left a 2-light 6-pane C19 casement, first floor
left a 2-light 6-pane casement. To left, the former roofline of the outshut is
visible with 6-pane light at ground floor. The outshut has been raised to 2 storeys,
with open area at the left side; C20 casements running around the corner of the house
at first floor. 2-storey addition to left with casements at ground and first floor.
At the rear, the C20 additions are 2-storey with four large gabled dormers with
casements. Ground floor left single storey C20 addition.
Interior: The ground floor room to right has a rear lateral fireplace, rebuilt in
C20; C19 beams. Blocked doorway to right, formerly leading to the passage. The
partition wall to left may have been moved, making the inner room to left larger.
The entrance leads directly into the room to left, which has end fireplace rebuilt in
C20 with cloam oven inserted to right. Narrow 2-panelled door with strap hinges to
left, leading into the outshut. At first floor there are plank doors.
The house was probably divided circa early C19, and the cloam oven would have been
inserted in the fireplace at the left end at that time.
Listing NGR: SW7905960423
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings