This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 54.535 / 54°32'6"N
Longitude: -2.5771 / 2°34'37"W
OS Eastings: 362752
OS Northings: 515682
OS Grid: NY627156
Mapcode National: GBR BJF0.V2
Mapcode Global: WH934.D81Q
Entry Name: Flass House
Listing Date: 6 February 1968
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1145414
English Heritage Legacy ID: 74046
Location: Crosby Ravensworth, Eden, Cumbria, CA10
Civil Parish: Crosby Ravensworth
Traditional County: Westmorland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria
Church of England Parish: Crosby Ravensworth St Lawrence
Church of England Diocese: Carlisle
CROSBY RAVENSWORTH MAULDS MEABURN
NY 61 NW (south end)
5/30 Flass House
Palladian villa. Rebuilt c.1848-1861 (incorporating parts of C18 house?) for
Lancelot and Wilkinson Dent. Architects Mr Gray (to c.1854) and Mr G Mair (post
1854) fitted out by Gillows of Lancaster. Stucco finish with rusticated
pilasters and dressed stone detailing. Remains of contemporary cast-iron
conservatory at south end. Graduated slate roofs with projecting eaves.
Asymmetrical plan. Mainly 2 storeys with attics; 3-storey tower. Symmetrical
west elevation to main house is 4 bays (1:2:1): Each wing has a projecting
flat-roofed bay to the ground floor with a tall tripartite window to the front
and french windows to the returns; tall casements to 2 central bays.
String-course between floors. Corniced tripartite window over each projecting
bay with small Diocletian window in gable above; segment-headed windows, with
moulded sills and hoods, to 2 central bays. Dentilled eaves cornice. Central
dormer window between 2 clasping stone chimney stacks. Numerous corniced stone
chimneys. Interior has very high standard of detailing and decoration: Cubic
entrance hall with 1st floor gallery and etched glass dome. Cast-iron panels to
gallery and splats to stairs. Ornate fireplaces and plasterwork throughout.
Listing NGR: NY6275215682
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings