History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Old Church of St Mary

A Grade II* Listed Building in Woburn, Central Bedfordshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.9896 / 51°59'22"N

Longitude: -0.6199 / 0°37'11"W

OS Eastings: 494866

OS Northings: 233246

OS Grid: SP948332

Mapcode National: GBR F2D.63G

Mapcode Global: VHFQY.68N4

Entry Name: Old Church of St Mary

Listing Date: 23 January 1961

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1146524

English Heritage Legacy ID: 38203

Location: Woburn, Central Bedfordshire, MK17

County: Central Bedfordshire

Civil Parish: Woburn

Built-Up Area: Woburn

Traditional County: Bedfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Bedfordshire

Church of England Parish: Woburn

Church of England Diocese: St.Albans

Find accommodation in
Woburn

Listing Text

SP 9433-9533 WOBURN BEDFORD STREET
8/100
23.1.61 Old Church of St Mary
GV II*
Former mortuary chapel, now redundant, incorporating remains of medieval
parish church. Late medieval origins, tower reworked 1830 by Edward Blore.
Remainder of church demolished and mortuary, chapel constructed 1865-8 for
William 8th Duke of Bedford. At least some of this later work by Henry
Clutton (Bedfordshire Record Office: R5/917 General Account: Cash Book 1867-
68). Coursed ironstone with ashlar dressings. Leaded roofs. Tower to N,
linked by low block on S side to mortuary chapel, forming an L-plan.
Perpendicular style, with variety of tracery to windows. Tower: 4 stages,
each one set back slightly from the one below it. Ground stage stonework is
all that remains of medieval fabric. Diagonal buttresses surmounted by tall
crocketed pinnacles. Embattled parapet. Ground stage has C19 segmental
arches to W and E, thus forming entrance porch to building. 2nd stage has
single light to W elevation. Bell-stage has pointed-arched 2-light louvred
openings to each side. Tower is surmounted by octagonal pierced stone
lantern, with small flying buttresses, crocketed pinnacles, and crocketed
concave conical roof. Link block has plain parapet and 3-light square-headed
mullioned windows to W and E. Chapel: Simple 3-bay structure. 3-light 4-
centred-arched windows to N and S elevations. W end has 2 2-light windows and
quatrefoil to attic level. 5-light E window. Plain parapet. Interior: 3-
bay oak roof with moulded timbers. Carved stone corbels showing variety of
heads. N wall has marble monument (from earlier church) to Sir Francis
Staunton and wife Elizabeth (d.1630), with 2 relief panels showing husband,
wife and children kneeling either side of prayer desk. Monument is surmounted
by broken pediment and cartouche. E window stained glass includes Bedford
family arms surrounded by the Garter and surmounted by a coronet, and figures
of the Evangelists and Moses and Aaron.


Listing NGR: SP9486633246

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.