This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.0424 / 52°2'32"N
Longitude: 0.4485 / 0°26'54"E
OS Eastings: 568017
OS Northings: 241052
OS Grid: TL680410
Mapcode National: GBR PFN.S8K
Mapcode Global: VHJHH.QXFN
Entry Name: The Moot Hall
Listing Date: 7 August 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1146551
English Heritage Legacy ID: 114211
Location: Steeple Bumpstead, Braintree, Essex, CB9
Civil Parish: Steeple Bumpstead
Built-Up Area: Steeple Bumpstead
Traditional County: Essex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex
Church of England Parish: Steeple Bumpstead St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford
TL 64 SE STEEPLE BUMPSTEAD CHURCH STREET
2/59 The Moot Hall, also known
7/8/52 as The Old School House
Market hall, late C16, altered in C18, restored 1890 and 1923. Timber framed,
plastered with exposed framing, roofed with handmade red clay tiles. Square
plan in 2 bays, jettied to NE and SW, with external chimney stack on SE side
and stair tower on NW side. 2 storeys. NE elevation, central 4-panel door,
2 C20 metal casement windows on ground floor and one on first floor. Exposed
joists under jetty with 2 scrolled brackets, original. Above, exposed close
studding with reproduction arched braces. Roof hipped. The SW elevation has
a base wall of red brick approx. 1 metre high, and above it 5 blocked 'shop'
windows with 4-centred arched heads, much restored; the most westerly is
entirely reproduction. Above, exposed close studding with reproduction arched
braces. The original brick chimney on the SE side has an arched recess in the
base with moulded label. The interior of the ground floor has a plain-chamfered
axial beam with lamb's tongue stops, exposed joists of horizontal section which
originally were plastered to the soffits, and C18 fielded pine panelling.
Originally the ground floor was mainly unwalled, possibly with 4 stalls on the
SW side, but was enclosed for use as a school in the C18. The first floor has
jowled posts, angle ties for the hip rafters, and crossed beams connecting the
mid-wall posts, the rafters boarded to the soffits. Originally the only hearth
was on this floor. The stair tower was originally an open structure with arched
braces which remain in situ, but the restoration has added false jetties on
2 sides and a false shop window to the SW. RCHM 10.
Listing NGR: TL6801741052
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings