This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.9927 / 50°59'33"N
Longitude: -4.4824 / 4°28'56"W
OS Eastings: 225886
OS Northings: 124416
OS Grid: SS258244
Mapcode National: GBR K5.KL9R
Mapcode Global: FRA 16HH.9JX
Entry Name: Chapel of St John
Listing Date: 20 February 1958
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1146561
English Heritage Legacy ID: 91250
Location: Hartland, Torridge, Devon, EX39
Civil Parish: Hartland
Built-Up Area: Hartland
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Hartland St Nectan
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
HARTLAND THE SQUARE (west side), Hartland
12/184 Chapel of St John
Church of England Chapel. 1839. Built at the instigation of the then rector,
William Chanter. Stone rubble walls. Gable ended slate roof.
Plan: rectangular plan running north-south with 2 storey porch on east side.
Exterior: each long side wall is of 5 bays divided by rubble buttresses with
offsets, on east side bays 1, 4 and 5 have original 2-light Y-tracery windows with 2
centred heads. Windows on west wall are on bays 1, 3 and 5. Similar style 3-light
window on south wall. Large crenellated 2 storey porch on each side in central bay
which has 4-centred rubble arch and set-back buttresses at corners. Original clock
above arch with datestone of 1839. Timber bell-cote above. Original gates to
doorway and panelled double doors inside in 2-centred head doorway.
This building replaced the town hall which was a C17 arcaded structure.
Listing NGR: SS2588624416
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings