This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.8839 / 53°53'1"N
Longitude: -2.5749 / 2°34'29"W
OS Eastings: 362308
OS Northings: 443228
OS Grid: SD623432
Mapcode National: GBR BRGJ.BH
Mapcode Global: WH967.FM3X
Entry Name: John Brabin's Old School
Listing Date: 29 December 1952
Last Amended: 22 November 1983
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1147304
English Heritage Legacy ID: 182979
Location: Chipping, Ribble Valley, Lancashire, PR3
District: Ribble Valley
Civil Parish: Chipping
Built-Up Area: Chipping
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire
Church of England Parish: Chipping St Bartholomew
Church of England Diocese: Blackburn
SD 64 SW CHIPPING WINDY STREET
4/92 No. 27 (John Brabin's Old School)
29.12.52 (formerly listed as John Brabin's Old School)
Former school, 1684, altered. Sandstone rubble with slate roof. 2 storeys,
the upper one now being very tall. 3 bays with central single-storey porch,
continuous drip course which returns along right-hand gable wall, and
cavetto-moulded eaves cornice. On the ground floor are 2 3-light double-
chamfered mullioned windows, the inner chamfer being hollow. The 1st floor
windows have chamfered plain stone surrounds. The porch has an ashlar front,
saddle-backed coping with 3 ball finials, a studded plank door and a badly
worn moulded door surround with shaped lintel and moulded hood. Re-cut on
the lintel are: 'CP RP 1684 JH RM'. Above is a re-cut plaque with moulded
border 'THIS SCHOOL FOUNDED BY JOHN BRABBIN GENTLEMAN DOCE DISCE VEL DISCEDE'.
The left-hand gable has a plain stone door surround with 'GIRLS' on the
lintel. The right-hand gable has a 3-light double-chamfered mullioned
window on the ground floor. At the rear (north-west) are extensions with
an M-roof. The wall facing the river is of 2 storeys and 3 bays, the
windows having plain stone surrounds. The wall facing the road has 4 narrow
doorways with slightly chamfered surrounds, now blocked to form windows.
The right-hand one has '1771' incised on the lintel. Above are lst and
2nd floor windows with plain stone surrounds, and a cavetto cornice.
Listing NGR: SD6230843228
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings