This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.8841 / 53°53'2"N
Longitude: -2.5743 / 2°34'27"W
OS Eastings: 362345
OS Northings: 443257
OS Grid: SD623432
Mapcode National: GBR BRGJ.GD
Mapcode Global: WH967.FMCQ
Plus Code: 9C5VVCMG+M7
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 22 November 1983
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1362250
English Heritage Legacy ID: 182982
Location: Chipping, Ribble Valley, Lancashire, PR3
Civil Parish: Chipping
Built-Up Area: Chipping
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire
Church of England Parish: Chipping St Bartholomew
Church of England Diocese: Blackburn
SD 64 SW CHIPPING WINDY STREET
4/95 Church of St. Mary
Roman Catholic. Church, 1827. Squared, punched ashlar with slate roof. North-west and
south-east walls of 5 bays each, having tall windows with plain stone
surrounds, semi-circular heads with keystones, impost band and sill band.
South-west wall blank except for doorway with architrave and moulded
cornice. Beneath the cornice is an inscription and date, 1827. Interior.
Gallery with organ at southern end, supported on slim iron columns. The
one-bay chancel is divided from the nave by a screen with 4 giant attached
marbled Corinthian columns with pedestals and an elaborately decorated
frieze and cornice. The central wide arch to the chancel is flanked by
two smaller arches with doors set within them, in a triumphal arch motif.
The rear wall of the chancel has stencilled decoration, with 2 more
Corinthian attached columns and 2 quarter-columns.
Listing NGR: SD6234543257
Other nearby listed buildings