History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Court Hall Farmhouse

A Grade II* Listed Building in Hockworthy, Devon

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.9665 / 50°57'59"N

Longitude: -3.3717 / 3°22'18"W

OS Eastings: 303773

OS Northings: 119455

OS Grid: ST037194

Mapcode National: GBR LN.MKLS

Mapcode Global: FRA 36TK.B8H

Entry Name: Court Hall Farmhouse

Listing Date: 5 April 1966

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1147804

English Heritage Legacy ID: 95933

Location: Hockworthy, Mid Devon, Devon, TA21

County: Devon

District: Mid Devon

Civil Parish: Hockworthy

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Church of England Parish: Hockworthy St Simon and St Jude

Church of England Diocese: Exeter

Find accommodation in
Sampford Peverell

Listing Text

HOCKWORTHY HOCKWORTHY
ST 01 NW
4/83 Court Hall Farmhouse
-
5.4.66
GV II*
Farmnouse, former court hall. Dated 1659, possibly earlier core, refurbisned in the
late C18, some mid C19 modernisation. Plastered stone rubble with some Hamstone
detail; stone rubble stacks with plastered chimneyshafts of C19 brick; slate roof,
probably thatch originally.
Plan: F-plan house. The main block faces south-east. It has a 4-room-and-through-
passage plan. At the left (south-west) end the inner room parlour or drawing room
has a gable-end stack. The hall or dining room has a large axial stack backing onto
the wide passage. Below the passage is the kitchen which nas a large axial stack
backing onto the small right end room. The right end gable-end stack serves the
first floor chamber. 2-storey front porch. 2-room plan service wing projects at
right angles to rear of the right end and the rear room here (a bakehouse) has a
projecting gable-end stack, and there is a service stair turret in the angle of the
main and rear blocks. The main stairblock projects to rear at the upper end of the
hall. Alongside it, and blocking the rear of the passage is a late C18 1-room plan
rear block projecting at right angles and with a rear diagonal corner stack. Apart
from this addition the whole house appears to date from 1659. It is tempting to
suggest that the main block derives from an earlier open hall house but there is no
physical evidence of this. The house is 2 storeys with attics in the roofspace.
Exterior: not quite symmetrical 2:1:2-window front. The 2-window sections either
side of the porch contain mid C19 tripartite sashes, the 2 ground floor ones left of
centre have central 18-pane sashes whereas the others have central 12-pane sashes,
and all include a top tier of Gothic glazing bars. The gabled porch has a plain
elliptical outer arch. Above it is the Hamstone date plaque which is inscribed WS
1659. Above this is a C19 oculus window with glazing bars and in the gable the
moulded surround of an original Hamstone window (now blocked). The gable coping and
apex finial (identical to that at nearby Stallenge Thorne Farmhouse (q.v) is
original. The passage front doorway is also original; it has a slightly cambered
head, moulded surround and carved stops and contains a contemporary studded plank
door. The main roof and rear block roofs are gable-ended. The right end and rear
includes a number of original Hamstone windows with ovolo-moulded mullions and
hoodmoulds, the main stair block with its complete compliment. Other windows are
C18 and C19 timber casements, several containing rectangular panes of leaded glass.
Late C18 lead rainwater head to gutter in angle of main stairblock and secondary
rear block.
Interior: much of the C17 carpentry and other detail has been hidden by the C18 and
C19 modernisations but the original layout is well-preserved and enough original
works show to prove that these modernisations were essentially superficial. No
ceiling beams are exposed. However some of the secondary work is of high quality.
For instance the parlour shows only Georgian features; a moulded plaster cornice,
marble chimneypiece and ornamental plaster overmantle featuring Apollo in his
chariot flanked by garlands. The hall also has a Georgian plaster cornice but here
the fireplace is exposed; it is Hamstone ashlar with a moulded Tudor arch and sunken
spandrels. In the passage the moulded plaster cornice is earlier in character than
the others; it could be C17. The kitchen fireplace is large, built of stone rubble
with an oak lintel which is ogee-moulded with scroll stops. The broad main stair
rises around a solid wall. The first floor includes an couple of-original ovolo-
moulded and scroll-stopped oak doorframes. The roof structure dates from 1659 and
is carried on a series of tie beam trusses with threaded purlins. If there are
collars then they are very high and hidden above the attic ceiling.
This is a very attractive house although more Somerset than Devon in character. It
has many stuctural similarities with nearby Stallenge Thorne Farmhouse (q.v) which
is dated 1675.


Listing NGR: ST0377319455

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.